Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

1 Senior and 1 Business Class

Debra828
Explorer C

How will this work? I'm a Senior and my brother is not. I am getting him a Business Class ticket,so he gets priority seating; so how can we sit together?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: 1 Senior and 1 Business Class

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@Debra828 wrote:

How will this work? I'm a Senior and my brother is not. I am getting him a Business Class ticket,so he gets priority seating; so how can we sit together?

The seats are not assigned on Southwest, instead you'll have a boarding position. 

The Business Select seat would have a boarding position somewhere from A1 to A15.

I'm not familiar with Senior Fares, I don't believe there is any particular boarding position that comes with it - your brother can hold a seat for you when he boards.

You should also try to check in right at the T-24 hour mark prior to your flight.

Another option would be to buy Early Bird Check-In for yourself which may improve your position somewhat by checking in you in automatically.

I'm not sure what the refundability or discount may be for a Senior fare compared to Business Select or Wanna Get Away - maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

David ,senior fares are priced lower than anytime fares (maybe 20-25%) . If bought far enough in advance they are significantly more expensive than wanna get away fares. Bought closer to flight day, less so. They are completely refundable. I've never seen a senior fare cheaper than a wanna get away frw.

There is no enhanced boarding tied to the fare.

As you mentioned, Debra's brother saving a seat is the way to go -- in case checking in at t-24 hours does not provide a good enough boarding position.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

@dfwskier wrote:

David ,senior fares are priced lower than anytime fares (maybe 20-25%) . If bought far enough in advance they are significantly more expensive than wanna get away fares. Bought closer to flight day, less so. They are completely refundable. I've never seen a senior fare cheaper than a wanna get away frw.

There is no enhanced boarding tied to the fare.

As you mentioned, Debra's brother saving a seat is the way to go -- in case checking in at t-24 hours does not provide a good enough boarding position.

You might try to head towards the rear half of the plane.  That way you might be sucessful trying to save a seat.  If you are closer to the front or in an exit row, someone may just sit there even though you are trying to save it for someone not onboard.

Debra828
Explorer C

Thank you!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Be aware that there is no "business class" on Southwest. Southwest offers a ticket called Business Select, which includes perks such as refundability and early boarding, but there is no dedicated seating onboard -- all seats on the plane are the same and there is only a single class of service.

If he needs early boarding because of a disability, consider buying a "regular" Wanna Get Away ticket, and asking for a preboard document at the gate. 

Senior Fares cost more than Wanna Get Away, but do include refundability. They do not include any boarding benefit.

If you buy a Business Select fare and a Senior one, check in at t-24 for both, he'll have an A1-16 position and can save you a seat.

If you buy yourselves both Wanna Get Away tickets, there are several options for boarding together. If he qualifies for a medical preboard, you can board with him. Alternately, you and/or he can buy EarlyBird Check-In (likely A or low B positions), or Upgraded Boarding at the gate if available (any open A1-16 positions).

Hope this helps!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

I agree with the others here, if you are solely interested in getting a good boarding position there are much better/cheaper ways to do it than buying a Business Select ticket. Purchase a Wanna Get Away fare and then add EarlyBird Check-In or upgraded boarding position purchased at the gate would be my suggestions if you don't qualify for medical preboarding. With any of those options, getting 2 seats together won't be a problem.

--TheMiddleSeat

gtownjb
Explorer C

Your Checklist

• Senior Fares apply to individuals 65 years of age and older
  • Government issued photo ID
  • If wheelchair assistance is required, request one at curbside checkin or the main ticket counter
  • Checkin early for your flight online once you are age verified

I copied this from SW website on Senior Fares.

My ticket states that it is a senior fare. I was able to checkin at exactly 24 hours prior to my flight.  What exactly does the last item on this list mean? I have a TSA pre with my age verified as a senior.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

You need to provide proof that you are eligible for the fare. You won’t be able to check in until that information is provided, I would call or use the Live Chat in the app to find out how to verify in advance so that you can check in at T-24.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

cusafr
Explorer C

I see that several people said to save a seat for your brother.  Yet, open seating means no seat saving.  Save one seat, save ten seats.  It gets worse all the time.