Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

1st Time Flying

GoddezzOfWar
Explorer C

This will be my first time. But I'd travel to hell to just hold my daughter for 2 minutes. . Going to visit my 19 yr old, who left last April to Texas because as she says  "California isn't happening no more, Mom." 

Im confused on the teems. Mostly, " early bird check in" & is the weight of the bag included along with the items inside it for total weight?

Also, I'm scared af. Any suggestions to chill my nerves?

Thank you all so much!

I'll be going last day of February. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: 1st Time Flying

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

Hey there,

You've come to the right place to discuss it, and the right airline to fly. Texas is a great place to visit, and you'll have a great time, both in the air, and on the ground!

To start, you're allowed 2 free bags, as long as they are each under 50lbs. That includes the bags weight -- so don't use a super hevay material type suitcase.

Also, Southwest has a cool boarding process. The earlier you check in (starting 24h before the flight) is your spot in line to board the flight. Learn more here: https://mobile.southwest.com/boarding-the-plane.

Lastly, to cool your nerves, know that you're on an airline that truly LUVs their customers. You're in great hands!

Reach out with any more questions,

Zev

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

GoddezzOfWar
Explorer C

Thank you so much!! But now I have another question that I thought would be answered after reading everything evrryone has suggested. (And thank you all so much!) 

I'm confused on the TSA rule regarding dimensions of bags. And bag style.

1…The dimensions 10×16×24 inches AND 8.5×13.5x18.5 inches, Can they be rotated? Why if I'm over 1 inch on any 1 number but okay in 2?

2…And can a backpack be a personal? A carry on? Neither? Or both?

I'll be shopping later today for 1 bag. Would appreciate the help!

Thank you all!

NatRose

dfwskier
Aviator A

H NatRose

ANYTHING can be a carryon as long as it's no larger than 10X16X24 (box, backpack, soft or hard suitcase, or even an item in a plastic bag.

Your carry on should be small enough to fit under the seat in front of you.

As a practical matter, if you exceed the above dimensions by an inch you'll be fine. Some airlines stick strictly to their requirements. I've never seen Southwest do that. Just don't be outrgeously too large.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@GoddezzOfWar wrote:

This will be my first time. But I'd travel to hell to just hold my daughter for 2 minutes. . Going to visit my 19 yr old, who left last April to Texas because as she says  "California isn't happening no more, Mom." 

Im confused on the teems. Mostly, " early bird check in" & is the weight of the bag included along with the items inside it for total weight?

Also, I'm scared af. Any suggestions to chill my nerves?

Thank you all so much!

I'll be going last day of February. 

Which CA airport are you flying from? I mainly ask as the community members may have some specific tips for the airport. One of the ways to avoid anxiety will be to have a great plan in place for how you'll go about all the menial details - checking in, getting through security, to the gate, etc.

120 million passengers a year fly Southwest - it must be a pretty good way to get around!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

GoddezzOfWar
Explorer C

We will be leaving fr OAK. I've only been inside once to try to stop my daughter from leaving last April. I was so upset at the time, I don't remembe much but the kindness of the employees at Southwest.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @GoddezzOfWar

Flying for the first time is a really big deal. We're honored that you've chosen Southwest for this trip. I think you'll find that the folks here on the discussion forum will offer you loads of good advice and encouragement. 

Please send me a private message - I'd love to follow up with you personally.