Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List vs Family Boarding

RaintoShine
Explorer C

I'm curious how other have experienced the order between A-list and family boarding. I generally take 2 flights/week, sometimes more. I have had to change my flights same day enough times to board A-list preferred instead of in the A group, and 99% of the time, A-list boards after A60 and before family boarding. Yet, there is one gate agent in Seattle who I've come across twice now who insists that families board first and gets really nasty if you say otherwise. Today, when I pushed back, he actually yelled at me about insisting that A-List board before families. I will be calling SWA to complain about his attitude, but I'd also like to know what the policy actually is. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: A-List vs Family Boarding

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I did some searching to find an official answer, but I could not pinpoint it.  My experience is that A List goes immediately after A60.  Then family boarding.

I am not sure if there is an official policy (at least one that is published), but I guess the gate agent is in charge.  I am not so sure why he feels so strongly about it.  That said, there is no need for him to be inconsiderate.

You are directing your feedback to the right place by reaching out to SW directly.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I would agree from my personal experience and reading reports from many others that any remaining A-List flyers are usually invited to board immediately after A60, before family boarding. In fact, I usually don't even wait for the announcement and just follow the last person in A boarding group line and mumble something about A-List as I scan my phone. You're right to contact Southwest about your experience. Sending a private message on Twitter (@SouthwestAir) would be a great way to get in touch with Southwest for something like this.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

@RaintoShine wrote:

I'd also like to know what the policy actually is.

From this web page: https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/airport-experience/index.html

"General boarding starts with Business Select customers, who are guaranteed positions at the front of the A Group, followed by Rapid Rewards tier Members and the remaining Customers in the A Group, two adults with children age six and under, then groups B and C. Learn more about our boarding process."

Customer | Home airport DCA

RaintoShine
Explorer C

Thank you all. I called SWA customer service and verified that the priority is A-list before family boarding. I also filed a complaint with the gate checker since his rude behavior has been directed at me more than once. In general, the airports I fly through tell the A-listers to line up to the side of the columns; but if I see this particular guy again, I'll just get in line behind A60. :cathappy:

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Another SW problem that could be resolved with assigned seats.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ffflyer wrote:

Another SW problem that could be resolved with assigned seats.

That ain't happening.

Southwest gains significant operational efficiency from the boarding process. It boards it's  planes faster than the competition, which in turn allows it to get more flights/day from it's planes. The system provides SW with higher revenue and profit.

Those that want assigned seats can fly the competition and can pay the seat choice, bag fee, change fee, and travel fund charges that come from that competition.

Most SW customers are OK with the way things are. After all, SW does fly more people in the lower 48 than any other airline -- and has done so for years.