Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

“A” List

Jojeff
Explorer C

Now that I am automatic “A” list through the end of 2019, do I still have check-in for my boarding pass as close to 24 hours in advance of my flight?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: “A” List

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Jojeff wrote:

Now that I am automatic “A” list through the end of 2019, do I still have check-in for my boarding pass as close to 24 hours in advance of my flight?

Congrats on attaining A List!

No you don't. Southwest will assign you a boarding position 36 hours prior to departure. You just need to obtain your boarding pass at any time, go thru security, and get to your gate before A1-30 starts to board.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

The exception to this rule SEEMS to be when you are flying Business Select.  I have experienced that the time you check in does matter with BS fares, so when I am on BS, I always check in as close to 24 hours as possible.  I always assumed that AList is prioritized within A1-15 with BS, but checking in alongside coworkers seems to prove that is not true.

Enjoy your benefits!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@elijahbrantley wrote:

The exception to this rule SEEMS to be when you are flying Business Select.  I have experienced that the time you check in does matter with BS fares, so when I am on BS, I always check in as close to 24 hours as possible.  I always assumed that AList is prioritized within A1-15 with BS, but checking in alongside coworkers seems to prove that is not true.

Enjoy your benefits!

I was under the impression it was actually order of purchase for BS - so I think the A-list priority was a red-herring, as you noted it wasn't a variable but I think it is order of purchase rather than check-in?

Since you have some co-workers on the same flights it may be possible for you to reverse engineer it?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

FYI: Business Select positions (A1-15) are assigned based on check-in time, and A-List status has no bearing on that position.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

FYI: Business Select positions (A1-15) are assigned based on check-in time, and A-List status has no bearing on that position.

Good to know. I haven't usually purchased these very far in advance so I hadn't made a study of it myself. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

Good to know. I haven't usually purchased these very far in advance so I hadn't made a study of it myself. 

I'm not sure I understand your comment -- so, just in case it's still unclear: Purchase date has nothing to do with BS boarding position, only check-in time does.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your comment -- so, just in case it's still unclear: Purchase date has nothing to do with BS boarding position, only check-in time does.

it's clear - I should have been more specific that many of my BS fares were same-day purchases, so less than 24 hours. On the ones I did purchase further in advance I don't recall what my position was, or if I tried to check in right at T-24 or not.