Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Airline employees in premium seats on commute

johnindallas
Adventurer C

Sent this note to SWA this evening...

I was A16 boarding my flight from MCO to ATL tonight. Only A1 and A2 ahead of me in the queue at the gate. A late-arriving commuting FA from Spirit was given an A3 boarding pass and she took exit row aisle seat 11D on a 700 which, for me, is the most premium seat on the plane because of the legroom and aisle proximity.

(A1 and A2 sat way up front. I was the fourth person to board.)

I’ll assume there is no formal policy against cooperating airline staff who are commuting taking the most premium seats to the exclusion of your best ALPs. Still, the optics are really bad.

If somebody buys up a better ticket, so be it. It’s part of the draw. But airline employees? On a commute? Perhaps I should just give her my free drink coupons. I’m disappointed.

WN 3057 MCO-ATL

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Airline employees in premium seats on commute

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

My assumption is that if she had an A3 boarding pass, she or her employer paid the same premium you did for a Business Select ticket. 

She is entitled to sit where she pleases just as you are. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

No, she likely flew at no cost.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@spacecoastbill wrote:

No, she likely flew at no cost.

And what makes you think that?  Perhaps no cost to her individually based on the situation, but more than likely Southwest got paid.  Doing this also helps increase the likelyhood Southwest employees are treated well on other airlines so the company is looking out for its own employees.

--TheMiddleSeat

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Because airlines regularly allow employees of other airlines to fly at no cost.  It is a reciprical agreement.

Even if she were flying standby, thats no cost (except for tazes), still nothing.....

I was on a flight where there were several SWA FAs deadheading and I noticed a pilot from a regional carrier in the waiting area, they called her over and had her preboard with them.  I haerd them talking about our desitnation and the other airline employee said she was going there to fly out.  Like all other jobs, membership has its perks.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

I doubt SWA would lose out on the fare. It was probably at a discounted fare, but definitely charged for and paid by the other airline. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@spacecoastbill wrote:

Because airlines regularly allow employees of other airlines to fly at no cost.  It is a reciprical agreement.

i haven't heard of them having reciprocal agreement, they don't for passengers for sure.

@spacecoastbill wrote:

I was on a flight where there were several SWA FAs deadheading and I noticed a pilot from a regional carrier in the waiting area, they called her over and had her preboard with them.  I haerd them talking about our desitnation and the other airline employee said she was going there to fly out.  Like all other jobs, membership has its perks.

The preboarding could be thrown in as a gesture, the ticket isn't the same.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hi everyone. This is an interesting one! Southwest and Spirit, in addition to most major domestic carriers, partner to allow their employees access to the internal standby network. The only way to receive A3 is to purchase a Business Select Fare or Upgraded Boarding. My guess is the Spirit employee was flying standby, got cleared, and purchased Upgraded Boarding.

Nicole
Community Manager

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Another problem that could be avoided altogether by flying an airline that lets you book your seat when you book your ticket. I know most airlines know charge extra for this but at least you know what seat your getting. SWA charges for EB or BS or an upgrade to BS at the gate and you still take your chances.