Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Baggage checkin time

Qwarshi
Explorer C

When does the baggage check in counter open at DEN?  I have read 2 hours befor the first flight, but at other airports that seems to be exaggerated.

Why is this time not publicly listed?  Almost every organization publicly lists hours of operation so I'm confused why they don't.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Baggage checkin time

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Qwarshi wrote:

When does the baggage check in counter open at DEN?  I have read 2 hours befor the first flight, but at other airports that seems to be exaggerated.

Why is this time not publicly listed?  Almost every organization publicly lists hours of operation so I'm confused why they don't.

It says two hours before the first flight:

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/airport-information.html?clk=GFOOTER-FLY-AIRPORTINFO

What information do you have that says that isn't accurate, or what is your question about the airport?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Qwarshi wrote:

Probably because the opening time changes as the time of the first flight of the day changes - and it might do that depending on the day of the week. So it might be 7 different times a week.

Besides, all you need to know is that it will be open at least two hours before YOUR flight -- right?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@Qwarshi wrote:

Probably because the opening time changes as the time of the first flight of the day changes - and it might do that depending on the day of the week. So it might be 7 different times a week.

Besides, all you need to know is that it will be open at least two hours before YOUR flight -- right?

I think so, that's why I'm interested for OP to flesh out the scenario. That airport is open 24 hours, perhaps the issue is arriving way early and just not knowing when the first flight is.

In that case, I would check the flight tracker board for the same weekday as the flight gets closer to see what the earliest flight is, if you can't deduce it otherwise. 

DEN may be a tough one to do this, but I also have gone to the route map and clicked on all of the direct destinations, then checked individually to see when the first flights were in order to arrange a tight schedule. 

But in a nutshell to paraphrase Southwest - I haven't seen many (any?) flights before 5 a.m. and most big airports will have someone wanting to leave early, so taking a wild guess for DEN I would say first flight will be somewhere in the 5 a.m. to 5:30 a.m. window.

Does the ticket counter open at 3 a.m. then? I hope I never find out!

That said, even if it was 4 a.m., that would be enough time at that hour. But I agree I wouldn't want to arrive there at 3 a.m. and not be able to check luggage.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Just a guess, based on comments I've seen posted by people waiting for the counter to open, would be that often the airport counter isn't actually open "2 hours prior to the first flight." 😉

That said, unless there's a major issue with TSA, the 15 minutes or so (give or take) that the counter opens late really won't have much effect on your travel day.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Just a guess, based on comments I've seen posted by people waiting for the counter to open, would be that often the airport counter isn't actually open "2 hours prior to the first flight." 😉

That said, unless there's a major issue with TSA, the 15 minutes or so (give or take) that the counter opens late really won't have much effect on your travel day.

90 minutes should be plenty at that hour of the day!

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

I have taken many early flights, all out of PVD. My experience is that the counter opens 2 hours before the first flight. I took a 5:10 am last year and the counter opened at 4:10 (and not a momenta before). TSA checkpoint opened at 4:00.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@StAugustine wrote:

I have taken many early flights, all out of PVD. My experience is that the counter opens 2 hours before the first flight. I took a 5:10 am last year and the counter opened at 4:10 (and not a momenta before). TSA checkpoint opened at 4:00.

The counter at PVD opens 90 minutes prior to the first flight of the day.

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 11.54.55 AM.png