Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bags Free boarding and deplaning

Loadster
Explorer C

Often the most cumbersome part of boarding and exiting is people stowing/reclaiming carry on.  Charging for carry on is just the inverse of free checked bags.

What if swa would reward checking bags by once per day rewarding passengers who board hands free with that flight leg refunded to their charge/payment source?

We all should know we are video recorded. Everyone would benefit by less impedance in the aisles and chance for a free flight. If SWA marketed it well, I think less aisle and overhead clutter would result. 

Please?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Bags Free boarding and deplaning

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I don't have the link on me, but we discussed this on a previous thread and my opinion is that Southwest feels the universe is in balance right now with status quo.

@chgoflyerpointed out that bags are free to the customer, but a large enough shift in additional checked luggage would mean more baggage handling staff, equipment, and time sorting luggage which would affect the bottom line in the reverse. 

(Unless the improvement in enplaning/deplaning time led to more bookings and offsetting revenue increase? Its complicated.)...overall we thought they are already on the leading edge of incentivizing checked bags relative to others and probably aren't going to move to a higher incentive.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Loadster
Explorer C

It is admirable that participants to this board demonstrate ownership, pointing out similarities to prior posts. However, dismissal of ideas because they are unresolved or perceived by swa to be tolerable status quo is lazy. Carry on is a catalyst for air rage and swa and passengers should be motivated to reduce this baggravation. With increasing full flights and continued deference to air carrier profit by passenger space reductions, we should be open to any way to reduce passenger ingress\egress hindrances. I give no credence to idea that increasing checked baggage use by passengers will disturb swa business model. If that were a problem for swa, they would not offer two free bags on flights. I personally do as much as possible to plan ahead and be a minimalist in travel, for my own peace of mind and allowing space for fellow passengers. Decency and consideration cannot be mandated as many think they are winning only when they game the system for perceived personal convenience. With that becoming more prevalent, swa should make incentives for individual acts of kindness.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Loadster wrote:

It is admirable that participants to this board demonstrate ownership, pointing out similarities to prior posts. However, dismissal of ideas because they are unresolved or perceived by swa to be tolerable status quo is lazy. Carry on is a catalyst for air rage and swa and passengers should be motivated to reduce this baggravation. With increasing full flights and continued deference to air carrier profit by passenger space reductions, we should be open to any way to reduce passenger ingress\egress hindrances. I give no credence to idea that increasing checked baggage use by passengers will disturb swa business model. If that were a problem for swa, they would not offer two free bags on flights. I personally do as much as possible to plan ahead and be a minimalist in travel, for my own peace of mind and allowing space for fellow passengers. Decency and consideration cannot be mandated as many think they are winning only when they game the system for perceived personal convenience. With that becoming more prevalent, swa should make incentives for individual acts of kindness.

Just trying to keep the discussion consolidated, I'm not an employee so my own opinion is just part of the overall community, I don't know what Southwest is really thinking about the idea or fully understand their motivations.

Just my opinion that I think it is highly unlikely they would refund anyone's ticket, two free checked bags is already a pretty appealing offer. The mechanics of picking someone as a winner and verifying yes/no on carryon (which right now is not tracked other than visually watching for people sneaking three items on) sounds like an additional hindrance to boarding instead of streamlining things.

I do appreciate your attitude for a considerate cabin and hope more people fly like you do. I personally will check luggage most flights unless I'm on a day trip, and I try to be helpful if people need assistance getting their carry-on into or out of the bins to keep things moving along.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.