Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding a flight

Pches03781
Explorer C

Three of us have a flight through southwest it leaves at 6:10 am and is to land in Chicago only to pick up another southwest flight that takes off 20 min. After the first flight lands. If we pay for early bird seating is it worth it?I think we might just have to sit whatever seats are left. Will the second flight hold that plane for us so we can make it on time or will they leave without us? Help what do I do? Do I try to cancel and rebook on a different flight? Or do I tell southwest when we show our boarding passes what our delema is? I just dont want to get stranded in Chicago

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Boarding a flight

franktravel
Aviator B

Did you book a flight with a connection with one conformation number? Or did you purchase the second flight separate from your first flight?  If you have one conformation number, when you check-in for your first flight you will be checked in for the second flight also. If that second flight is a originating flight you will have been checked in before most of the people for that flight therefore you will have a lower boarding number and group number then them. 

Good luck! 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@franktravelwrote:

Did you book a flight with a connection with one conformation number? Or did you purchase the second flight separate from your first flight?  If you have one conformation number, when you check-in for your first flight you will be checked in for the second flight also. If that second flight is a originating flight you will have been checked in before most of the people for that flight therefore you will have a lower boarding number and group number then them. 

Good luck! 

...which they probably won't be able to use, walking up at 10 or 15 minutes until departure.

That is shorter than most connections I've seen - need to confirm if this is one confirmation number, or separate confirmation numbers.

Also, are you sure that you change planes in MDW?

What's the final destination?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Pches03781
Explorer C

Yes I believe it’s one confirmation number for both flights. Yes it’s two different planes #4142 and 4384.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

If those are on the Saturday schedule its' showing 4142 arriving 8:20 a.m. and 4384 departing at 9:05 a.m. for next weekend.

Both the through plane and your leg landing at about the same time at MDW. 

You may want to sit towards the front if you can, but if both planes are deplaning over the same period, you should be able to get through MDW to make your flight no problem.

I'd skip the Early Bird though, its possible that you won't get to the second gate for your scheduled boarding position. You'll have a 24-hour head start as someone mentioned earlier when you check in for 4142 you will automatically be checked in for 4384 as well, so you'll get a slightly more favorable position.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Pches03781
Explorer C

We are going to Boston