Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding with family (separate boarding groups)

Raymattila
Explorer C

I have a flight tomorrow (first time) I am in boarding group A, and my wife Is in boarding group C (our 4 month old baby will be on her lap) are the 3 of us able to board together during family boarding between a and b groups? Or am I better off trying to use my "A group privileges" to try and get a good seat and save one next to me?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Boarding with family (separate boarding groups)

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@Raymattila wrote:

I have a flight tomorrow (first time) I am in boarding group A, and my wife Is in boarding group C (our 4 month old baby will be on her lap) are the 3 of us able to board together during family boarding between a and b groups? Or am I better off trying to use my "A group privileges" to try and get a good seat and save one next to me?

Family Boarding is for "an adult traveling with a child age 6 and under," and generally most agents will allow both parents to board with the child. But since you have an A position, my recommendation would be for you to board first at your A position and save a seat for your wife (and baby), who would then utilize Family Boarding. If you're uncomfortable about saving a seat (Southwest allows it, but since the policy is officially "open seating" they also allow other passengers to take any open seat they want, including one you may be trying to save -- FAs won't get involved), then all three of you could board at Family Boarding. If the row you choose is aft of the exit row I don't expect you'd have much trouble saving it.

Hope this helps!

bec102896
Aviator A

I agree with @chgoflyer 

Board at the A group if your ok with saving a seat and your wife can board during family boarding. You should have no problem getting seats together. 

Blake

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

I agree with @chgoflyer 

Board at the A group if your ok with saving a seat and your wife can board during family boarding. You should have no problem getting seats together. 

Blake

Concur, we do this some of the time, other times we all board at family boarding. You'll take as much of the stuff with you as you can if you go with your A-position, you'll drop any gate-check baby gear at the door of the aircraft and carry on your two items plus baby item(s).

You shouldn't take three pieces of carry-on luggage - two plus a baby-related bag is okay. Hopefully that leaves your wife with just the baby to waltz on.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.