Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bumped from A to C- forced to pay 100 dollars to have seats - Scam

lipps46
Explorer B

A20's

Flight canceled

rebooked on another in final C rows

Told we had to pay another 100 dollars to be able to regain our previous position, acting like they were doing us a favor.

Non Revenue - staff sitting in prime seats and didnt even care.

Once again its the policy..... Policy to gouge

My opinion and facts of our experience

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Bumped from A to C- forced to pay 100 dollars to have seats - Scam

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to hear about your travel troubles.

I presume you were the victim of the bad weather hitting the east coast  - you and thousands of others. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check the TV national news this morning. One of the big stories is about the Virgina dam being threatened with collapse due to the excessive rainfall.

That being said, every airline tries to run it's system in a way that minimizes traveler disruption as best it can. No airline can guarantee zero disruption. Weather means that some people will find thier travel plans disrupted.

Sorry that your rebooking resulted in getting your getting C boarding positions. It's likely that was all that was avaialable when you were checked in. Why? Well most people that were scheduled on that flight likely checked in before you, and they took the A B and lower C boarding positions. C was all that was left. Any A1-A15 slots that were avaialbe for sale, were by Southwest policy available for sale. This was not a big conspiracy to get you to pay more money.

As far as non-revs go, aside from SCHEDULED crew, the rest board after eveyone else. Scheduled crew need to make the flight because if they don't, then the flight they are scheduled to operate will be cancelled due to "lack of crew." so, some non-revs need to fly in order to minimize disruption to the system and even more passengers down the line.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@lipps46 wrote:

A20's

Flight canceled

rebooked on another in final C rows

Told we had to pay another 100 dollars to be able to regain our previous position, acting like they were doing us a favor.

Non Revenue - staff sitting in prime seats and didnt even care.

Once again its the policy..... Policy to gouge

My opinion and facts of our experience

It is unfortunate to have lost your position, and you could reach out to Southwest if it was under their control such as mechanical issues, but if this was related to the east coast weather, then the situation is just part of air travel.

As far as the "scam" goes, plenty of people will take what they get with the later boarding positions, you certainly aren't obligated to pay extra if you didn't want to do that. 

I hope the rest of your trip goes better.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@lipps46,

I'm truly sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience - that's never what we want for our Customers. I encourage you to contact our Customer Relations Department on Twitter (@Southwestair) so we can address your concerns. Your patronage is important to us, and we want to restore your confidence in our ability to serve you and your family. 

That said, please do not copy/paste the same post on multiple boards. Duplicate posts dilute the conversation threads and make it difficult to keep responses in one place. Duplicate posts will be removed from the Community.

lipps46
Explorer B

I really dont need the platitude.

I am well aware of the entire scenerio and more.

There is much more to this story than what any of you know and it has been escalated above this level.

Thank you for responding but do please get all of the information correct before trying to provide a solution.

lipps46
Explorer B
GSGround Stop. Ground Stops are implemented for a number of reasons. The most common reasons are:
  • To control air traffic volume to airports when the projected traffic demand is expected to exceed the airport's acceptance rate for a short period of time.
  • To temporarily stop traffic allowing for the implementation of a longer-term solution, such as a Ground Delay Program.
  • The affected airport's acceptance rate has been reduced to zero.

How it works:
Flights that are destined to the affected airport are held at their departure point for the duration of the Ground Stop.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@lipps46 wrote:

I really dont need the platitude.

I am well aware of the entire scenerio and more.

There is much more to this story than what any of you know and it has been escalated above this level.

Thank you for responding but do please get all of the information correct before trying to provide a solution.

This forum is customer to customer, so we're not privy to any official discussion you have had with Southwest other than what you describe here yourself. I do hope your issue will be resolved satisfactorily. Let us know how it turns out.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.