Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Buying Upgraded Boarding at Kiosk?

Baltodave
Explorer C

Does anyone know if you can purchase upgraded boarding at the kiosk (at least at BWI)?  Or do you have to buy it from an agent at the ticket counter or gate?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Buying Upgraded Boarding at Kiosk?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You will need to interact with a human to purchase an upgraded boarding position. I've only done it at the gate so I don't know if it's possible to do at the check-in counter.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

You will need to interact with a human to purchase an upgraded boarding position. I've only done it at the gate so I don't know if it's possible to do at the check-in counter.

--TheMiddleSeat

I think it used to be offered at the kiosks, but its been so long since I used one I'm not sure about the current practice.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

When I checked in at the kiosk last week it did have an upgrade button next to the A position I didn't try it because I didnt want to pay extra to go from A29 to A1-15 of course my guess would be that upgrade is for the upgrade to Business Select so I'm guessing you would have to interact with a human as stated to get the A1-15 pass. 

Blake 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Here's the list of functions that can be done at a kiosk, according to a FAQ on southwest.com. It looks like the upgrade option is an upgrade to Business Select, not solely boarding position. 

You can perform a variety of pre-flight tasks at the self-service kiosk:

• Print your boarding pass
  • Add a Rapid Rewards number to a reservation
  • Upgrade to a Business Select Fare
  • Change your flight
  • Add your name to the standby list
  • Check luggage*
  • Print an itinerary receipt

*Only kiosks located at the ticket counter can be used to check luggage. Bag tags cannot be issued from the kiosks in the lobby area.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Theres often some confusion for some customers about Upgraded Boarding vs Business Select.

At a kiosk you can upgrade to Business Select. But be careful, if you start the process because it says "for as low as $16" and then cancel when you discover that 

it's actually several hundred dollars, you will have lost your boarding position in the process, and will be assigned the next available one. (This upgrade charges you the difference between what you originally paid and the full price Business Select fare.)

To purchase Upgraded Boarding, you need to see an agent at the gate. (This upgrade costs $30-$50, depending on route.)