Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion / Early Bird Boarding

Shawn555
Explorer C

Strange thing happened this morning when I checked in my free companion (my wife) for our flight tomorrow.

I paid the $15 for my early check-in, but did not pay for her early check-in.

I got A 47, she got A 49. Either they checked her in early with me, or possibly she was one of the first people checking in manually to get a boarding position after the early birds?

Any thoughts?

Also...isn't A 47 kind of high for early bird check-in? I thought it would lower.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Companion / Early Bird Boarding

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@Shawn555 wrote:

Strange thing happened this morning when I checked in my free companion (my wife) for our flight tomorrow.

I paid the $15 for my early check-in, but did not pay for her early check-in.

I got A 47, she got A 49. Either they checked her in early with me, or possibly she was one of the first people checking in manually to get a boarding position after the early birds?

Any thoughts?

Also...isn't A 47 kind of high for early bird check-in? I thought it would lower.

Thanks.

It's unclear from your first three sentences if your wife checked in and you simply printed the boarding pass or if you checked her in. I'll make the assumption that you checked her in.

In any event there are a few scenarios that could explain you getting A47 and she  A49. :

1) She checked in early enough to get A49 -- pure serendipity

2) She checked in just as the person who held A49 cancelled and the system awarded the best available boarding position (which had just become available) - A49

I don't think Southwest would have checked her in as EBCI if she had not paid for it. Anybody else, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

As far as A47 being a high number, it's a function of how many A-listers are on the plane and how many people bought EBCI before you did.  It is my understanding that boarding posiitons for EBCIers are granted in order from the first purchased to the last purchased. On some routes EBCIers get B boarding positions.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

For clarification, it sounds like you are not A List. Is that correct?

Also, back in the day, I might have said A47 was a little high for EB, but these days, I often get higher than A30, and I’m A List Preferred. That means that after me there (may) be other ALPs, then A Listers, then EBs. I think it’s wise to relax the expectations of boarding position (even for me), especially during busy times. 

As as others have highlighted, some of the best value from EB is that you don’t have to check in at the perfect 24 hr mark since your spot is saved. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Shawn555
Explorer C

No...not A List. Just a regular schmo traveling to Cabo with his family.

I may see if the are selling early boarding positions at the gate. That exit row seat with no seat in front of you is really nice.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

1) Jealous. 

2) Coming home from Cabo, you shouldn’t have this issue, but even upgraded boarding is a gamble, especially for continuing flights. Nothing worse than boarding with a super low position only to find a full exit row. 

3) I feel your pain with your companion having separate boarding positions. I have my fingers crossed for more Companion-friendly boarding soon.

Good luck!!!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

mshires
Explorer C

BTW, the early check in does not always work. I paid for their automatic "early check in" on a flight home from Cancun and they did not do it. I was in a remote area at check in time and my wife and I had to check in on our own later when we had cell reception again. Never count on it and always follow up to be sure it happened. Never even got around to calling to get my $$ back either but that was on me.