Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Companion Pass Boarding

kcullimore

I have had a companion pass for the last 10 years or so. It is a great benefit for those of us who fly a lot. My wife travels with me often as my companion. 

My "first world" problem is that because I am an A-List Preferred, I am always A16 or so. Since she is a companion, even if we book early, or do the early bird checkin, she is often a late B. 

It would seem to be beneficial to allow a companion to be loaded with the companion.  Even if the system had to do a A-20 and an A-20 companion.  I always save her a seat, and generally it is not a problem. But it has been on occasion. 

So Southwest....what do you think?

48 REPLIES 48

Re: Companion Pass Boarding

bkmcae
New Arrival

I'd like to see something done about this too, but I don't think giving companions a spot in line with the pass holder is the right idea. If I'm A17, I don't want a companion standing ahead of me because her companion has A16. Maybe allow companions to board after family boarding? I agree it can sometimes be awkward to save a seat for a companion. I usually hold down the middle seat and then slide over to the window when my companion arrives.

kcullimore

While I agree that it has an appearance problem, what difference does it make to you at A17 if A16 has thier companion with  them. They were going to save a seat anyway, so it doesn't really impact you differently.

There are so few companions on each flight (probably not more than 1 or 2) that I don't think giving them the same number boarding is really problematic.  And it would stop some of the the "seat saving" that is a problem. 

slpacheco82
New Arrival

I too have this first world problem. I've held a seat and have only had one time where I got grief from another passenger. Here's a solution that'll keep the A listers happy, while reducing this 'problem'. Give companions the first spots after the A list, but before the early birds. Then you keep both groups happy 

kcullimore

That would work as well.  

Is anyone at Southwest listening?   I know it is a small problem but one with an easy solution. And it is a problem for your most loyal customers. 

I think we would be happy with any solution that works. 

qwertyzap
New Arrival

Ha, my wife just stands in line next to me and boards with me regardless of her boarding pass. Sure not the fairest thing to do, but I would end up saving her a seat anyways. 

russcro

@qwertyzap wrote:

Ha, my wife just stands in line next to me and boards with me regardless of her boarding pass. Sure not the fairest thing to do, but I would end up saving her a seat anyways. 

The gate agent doesn't send her to the back of the line... or at least to her proper place in the line up? I regularly see people who try to ''buck" the line denied boarding until it's their turn.

kcullimore

We have done that as well. It really depends on the gate agent. I would say about half the time, they do not allow it. 

hockeydiva

I share this first world problem, but my companion is a kid. If it were my spouse, I think we'd be fine boarding separately. The child is young enough that gate agents generally let us board together, but we always make a plan in case the child has to wait to board.

FASTRS
New Arrival

I agree with this first world problem, normally I just hold a seat for my girlfriend. It would also be nice if they could come though TSA Pre Check when they are flying with you.