Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

EBCI question

TheJules2019
Explorer C

Hi all,

i was wondering, i will be flying from dtw to bna with a 2 hour layover in atl on june 3, the flight leaves 7:00 am, would it be worth it to get ebci for the dtw-atl leg, in order to find the connecting gate, or just save the money for something else? I know the sw gates at atl varies, and i do have a layover of 2 hours, but I wanted to see what you all would suggest. 

Thanks so much!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: EBCI question

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I personally don’t think it would make a difference. The SW gates at ATL are all concentrated on one side of one concourse. It should not take more than a few mins to connect from any one SW gate to another there. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Jwalsh3rd
Adventurer A

One benefit that early boarders (through benefits either earned or purchased)  have is the ample availability of overhead bin space.  I have observed that on some full flights, the bins fill up and a half dozen or more people have to check their roller bag luggage.  The luggage does get checked to your final destination, but if I am headed to Love Field, that can add twenty plus minutes to getting out of the airport.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Besides as @elijahbrantley mentioned the Southwest ATL gates are all easily assessable in C concourse, you also I don’t believe can add EBCI to one leg of a connecting flight.

However good news - when you check in at T-24 for the DTW leg you actually check in for the ATL departure at the same time, so you’ll get a mild head start still behind the EBCI checkin group at T-36 hours, but a little ahead of everyone that originates at ATL.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution
As noted by@DancingDavidE if you pay for the Early Bird Check-In it will cover both of the flights that day:

"*EarlyBird Check-In can be purchased at prices ranging from $15 - $25 one-way per passenger. A credit card must be used for the purchase of EarlyBird Check-In."

Source:
https://www.southwest.com/html/generated/help/faqs/earlybird_checkin_faq.html

Was your thinking that if you paid for the EarlyBird then you would be able to get a seat closer to the front of the plane on the first leg, which would save a few minutes for you to get to the next gate? I don't think it's worth it if that is the reason.

If you want an earlier boarding position AND automatic assignment of your boarding positions then go for it.

Hope this all helps!

Customer | Home airport DCA

Jwalsh3rd
Adventurer A

I tend to agree with the other replies, except that if your 1st segment is late and the second flight is on time, it can get tight.  Note than even with an early boarding position, if the plane is loading (thirty minutes before departure is typical) and you arrive late, then you will be behind your assigned position many times. 

It is also good to note that if all is on time, a benefit that early boarders have is the ample availability of overhead bin space.  I have observed that on some full flights, the bins are full and a half dozen or more people have to check their roller bag luggage.  The luggage does get checked to your final destination, but if I am headed to Love Field, that can add twenty plus minutes to leaving the airport.