Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early B boarding - sitting together

emcadam2
Explorer A

I checked in to my flight today. I'm meeting a friend at a connecting airport, and she got B07 while I got B17 for boarding. Is it likely we will be able to get two seats together? If not, are people likely to let us sit together? I would feel bad asking but she's flying to my connection so I don't have to deal with as much anxiety lol

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Early B boarding - sitting together

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@emcadam2 wrote:

I checked in to my flight today. I'm meeting a friend at a connecting airport, and she got B07 while I got B17 for boarding. Is it likely we will be able to get two seats together? If not, are people likely to let us sit together? I would feel bad asking but she's flying to my connection so I don't have to deal with as much anxiety lol

First off don't feel bad asking, but don't be upset if people aren't responsive or unfavorable.

But anyway, I'd say good chance still at that point, one of you being in the middle seat. Have her board at B07 and find two spots together, she should be able to hold off the hordes for ten more positions.

I've observed mixed bag on asking people to move - people will move around a little, especially if they aren't settled - and also if they are moving one aisle for another or changing a middle to an aisle or window, it isn't like you'll be asking someone to move out of the exit row window to a middle seat 20 rows back.

But I think you'll be okay if you head towards the back. 

Do you know if it is a 737-700 or -800? The -800 has 175 seats, so even if all of the A's are filled that's sixty seats, some pre-boards, family boarding, maybe some through passengers - you may be looking at a half-full plane at B7 which would be plenty of spots left, but even on a 737-700 the front fills up solid while there are whole rows in the back, probably okay.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE two threads in a row where we replied at the same time!

Customer | Home airport DCA

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SWDigits wrote:

@DancingDavidE two threads in a row where we replied at the same time!

It had come up in discussion a while back that we end up with some duplicate postings, so to help minimize these I've been concentrating on not starting a reply and then finishing it hours later after there would be a whole bunch of interim responses!

But I don't think it can be helped in this case - hopefully we agreed!

emcadam2
Explorer A

Thank you both @DancingDavidE and @SWDigits ! I'm hoping that it works out, and I feel pretty confident now that it will. Hopefully we can get a window too 😉 I'm lucky to have gotten A45 for my first flight, too, so hopefully I can nab a window for that one at least

Also - it's a 700, so smaller 

SWDigits
Aviator A

One of my favorite things in the world is getting ready to board a plane. I know others don't share that feeling but for me it's an absolute feeling of adventure and freedom, especially when it's with a companion. Have fun tomorrow Smiley Happy

Customer | Home airport DCA

bec102896
Aviator A

@SWDigits wrote:

One of my favorite things in the world is getting ready to board a plane. I know others don't share that feeling but for me it's an absolute feeling of adventure and freedom, especially when it's with a companion. Have fun tomorrow Smiley Happy

Agreed!

I'm the one who takes the longest route to get where I am going because i LUV the freedom and adventure of traveling on a plane. @DancingDavidE has seen some of my crazy routes one example AUS DTW MCO just about 2 weeks a go 😂

But back to the question I believe you should have no problem getting seats together at B7 and B17 (unless there are a ton of thru passengers on your connection flight and a lot of pre boarders/family boarders) 

-Blake

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@emcadam2 wrote:

Thank you both @DancingDavidE and @SWDigits ! I'm hoping that it works out, and I feel pretty confident now that it will. Hopefully we can get a window too 😉 I'm lucky to have gotten A45 for my first flight, too, so hopefully I can nab a window for that one at least

Let us know how it goes. 

That's a little strange - since when you check-in for your first flight, you technically can "jump the line" to check-in to your next flight a little bit earlier than 24-hours prior so often you'll see the later connecting flights tend to have better positions than your first one.

I guess in this case the connecting route is a busy one with lots of A-listers. That's a good sign - the A-list "business people" will tend to crowd the front of the plane so they can get off faster leaving more whole rows in the rear.

I still think you'll be fine.

And if no one had mentioned it yet, sometimes there is an option for upgraded boarding position for a fee at the gate, if available. I don't know that it would be necessary for you two - I think you'll be fine at low B's, but if it helps your anxiety then maybe splurge on it to get better posiitions  and not worry about it.

emcadam2
Explorer A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@emcadam2 wrote:

Let us know how it goes. 

That's a little strange - since when you check-in for your first flight, you technically can "jump the line" to check-in to your next flight a little bit earlier than 24-hours prior so often you'll see the later connecting flights tend to have better positions than your first one.

I guess in this case the connecting route is a busy one with lots of A-listers. That's a good sign - the A-list "business people" will tend to crowd the front of the plane so they can get off faster leaving more whole rows in the rear.

I still think you'll be fine.

And if no one had mentioned it yet, sometimes there is an option for upgraded boarding position for a fee at the gate, if available. I don't know that it would be necessary for you two - I think you'll be fine at low B's, but if it helps your anxiety then maybe splurge on it to get better posiitions  and not worry about it.

I think there are just earlier connecting flights. My friend is flying from ATL to BWI where she's meeting me, and while her flight leaves at 12:10, mine leaves at 2:05. It's odd though that we both checked in right away and I was only 10 spots after her for our connection. That's my guess, though.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@emcadam2 wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@emcadam2 wrote:

I think there are just earlier connecting flights. My friend is flying from ATL to BWI where she's meeting me, and while her flight leaves at 12:10, mine leaves at 2:05. It's odd though that we both checked in right away and I was only 10 spots after her for our connection. That's my guess, though.

That makes sense now - she had an earlier opportunity checking in when her ATL flight departed?

Anyway - I recommend O'Brycki's at BWI if you have enough time to grab a crab cake.