Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Early B boarding - sitting together

SWDigits
Aviator A

@emcadam2 a resource for you this morning if you're interested.  You can check the real-time status of your friend's flight from ATL to BWI using Flight Aware here.  It looks like the plane for her flight is almost to Atlanta (click on the link at the top of the page that states, "Where is my plane now?")

Customer | Home airport DCA

emcadam2
Explorer A

@SWDigits wrote:

@emcadam2 a resource for you this morning if you're interested.  You can check the real-time status of your friend's flight from ATL to BWI using Flight Aware here.  It looks like the plane for her flight is almost to Atlanta (click on the link at the top of the page that states, "Where is my plane now?")

that's cool, thank you! I'll share that with her as well. I'll watch her flight while I wait here in buffalo haha

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

Short version: I think your odds are pretty good!  I'd be surprised if you're not able to sit together.

Long version:

The 737-700 has 24 rows with three seats on both sides of the aisle (click here for a third party seat map).  The 737-800 has 29 1/2 rows with three seats on both sides of the aisle (-800 seat map here).

Next thought it that almost everyone wants an aisle or a window seat, leaving the middle seat open.  You just need to have one open aisle or middle seat with an open adjoining seat by the time you board.  I'd be surprised if that's not the case for you.

On a -700 it would require 96 people to board in front of you with none of those people taking a middle seat for you to not be able to sit with your friend.  On an -800 it would require 118 people to board in front of you with none of those people taking a middle seat for you to not be able to sit with your friend.  If I was betting then I would take those odds.

That's probably too much thought but hopefully it helps to put your mind at ease.

I'm also excited for you that you are finally taking your trip!  I absolutely love to fly and I love to watch airport operations.  I drive my family crazy with my obsession, which is part of the reason I spend some of my free time here.  Safe travels, I hope you have the best time ever with your friend!!!

Customer | Home airport DCA