Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early bird price increases

Terajim
Explorer C

I just bought Early Bird Check-In, for a flight in October, STL to SEA.  Candidly the increase was a shock.  I had heard that the fee was increasing, but imagine my surprise at $50.00 versus the $30.00 (Round Trip), I have paid for years. The percentage increase is off the charts. I am afraid that SW is starting to nickel and dime customers, just like the rest of the major carriers.  I am fine with the occasional cost increase, but ~60+ %, as an cost increase is not justifiable.  

Just my $.02 worth.  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Early bird price increases

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

It never is fun to pay more but supply and demand dictated the price increase, I'm sure. Since it is so popular and so many people are buying it, people weren't getting the benefit. It's really not a benefit to buy EarlyBird and get a mid "B" boarding position.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@basslaw2010 wrote:

It never is fun to pay more but supply and demand dictated the price increase, I'm sure. Since it is so popular and so many people are buying it, people weren't getting the benefit. It's really not a benefit to buy EarlyBird and get a mid "B" boarding position.

There were a lot of people complaining on this community about the results, I think the EBCI was probably due for a reset exactly as @basslaw2010 is saying. Overall they will bring in similar revenue and have fewer dissapointed EBCI purchasers, it seems to make sense to me - the number of people buying it may have been too many.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bgubs14
Frequent Flyer C

Wow that is a lot ! I guess this will incentivize some people to buy them and others to not which will make it worthwhile ! I would buy it less but know that when I need it it’ll be worth it !

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bgubs14 wrote:

Wow that is a lot ! I guess this will incentivize some people to buy them and others to not which will make it worthwhile ! I would buy it less but know that when I need it it’ll be worth it !

Hope so! Unless the supply and demand curve wasn't understood and everyone that complained about the cost increase kept purchasing it anyway....have to wait to see the data on how things actually end up working.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@DancingDavidE,

I see your point.  If people buy EBCI anyway and they still get mid B, there could be even more disgruntlement at the airport.  People who are already angry about the pre-boarders could really ramp up the anger.