Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Family board vs Early Bird

Flywme70
Explorer C

I would like to know why Southwest has families step to the side rather than assigning them boarding numbers following all early bird customers rather than simply A list.  Because southwest sells more early bird spaces than A1-60,  should you get a B boarding number behind a long line of families, you may as well have not have purchased the upgrade or warn me that I'm purchasing a B seat.  Southwest should ask families to identify themselves as needing family boarding when the tickets are purchased and then assign them seating after all early bird vs. after A group (especially when early bird purchases extend into B boarding).    There will still be seats together and this would be more fair to those who paid extra.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Family board vs Early Bird

SWDigits
Aviator A

Here is the wording for family boarding:

"General boarding starts with Business Select customers, who are guaranteed positions at the front of the A Group, followed by Rapid Rewards tier Members and the remaining Customers in the A Group, two adults with children age six and under, then groups B and C. Learn more about our boarding process."

Source:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/airport-experience/index.html

I personally wouldn't pay for EarlyBird boarding if I were to fly on Southwest under a scenario where I qualified for family boarding.

Customer | Home airport DCA

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SWDigits wrote:

Here is the wording for family boarding:

"General boarding starts with Business Select customers, who are guaranteed positions at the front of the A Group, followed by Rapid Rewards tier Members and the remaining Customers in the A Group, two adults with children age six and under, then groups B and C. Learn more about our boarding process."

Source:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/airport-experience/index.html

I personally wouldn't pay for EarlyBird boarding if I were to fly on Southwest under a scenario where I qualified for family boarding.

I think OP is saying that Family Boarding should be slotted after all Early Birds - some EBCI will get A-positions and go before families but others that end up with B-1 or later get slotted after families.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I get that getting A vs. B is a huge difference! I remember the days when EB practically guaranteed an A spot, but SW doesn't advertise it that way or guarantee it. Half the benefit is not having to remember to check in right at 24 hrs out. 

I can't imagine the logistical challenge of having families identify themselves at booking. What if another family member were added after original booking? What if the booked date of when all the boarding positions had been released? What if there were such a large number of A Listers and EBs that there were not many seats together for families?

These days, getting a B spot is simply something you have to consider. If EB is still worth it for you at that point, go for it. If not, remember to check in right at 24 hrs out and hope for the best. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder