Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Feature Request: Boarding with my Smartwatch

DAL
Adventurer A

One of the things I love about wearable technology is not having to constantly have my phone in my hand. Quickly, I can delete e-mail messages, reply to texts, and get updates and alerts.

While a few of the other major airlines have embraced this technology, Southwest isn't quite there. I would absolutely love to be able to drop my bag, fly through security and board my flight with a flick of my wrist!

20160225_161644 (1).jpg

*I am so so so sorry I posted a picture with another airline's logo. Hopefully it will be the Southwest heart the next time I fly!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Feature Request: Boarding with my Smartwatch

Jefftb
Explorer A

How well does a boarding pass read on a smart watch?  I have an Apple Watch but have been resistant to try with other carriers -- don't want to hold up the line. 

terbert
Explorer C

I've done it with no issues. The bar code or QR code pops up and, in my experience, has been as easily scanned as it is on my phone.

DAL
Adventurer A

No issues with other carriers. Actually, as a workaround, I will screenshot my WN boarding pass, crop the QR code and then save it to Google Keep so I can display the image on my watch. (I have a Fossil Q Founder but have also used this technique with the Samsung Gear Live).

It would be great to be able to do this natively from the app without the work around.

Also, I've read some people complaining about using their watch at TSA checkpoints or some barcode scanners that "face up" as you typically have to flip your wrist upside down. My solution to this is to twist my watch so the face is facing down. No more looking like a contortionist when I go to scan my code!

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Thanks for bringing this topic up, DAL. We're always on the lookout for ways to make the travel experience more seamless and efficient for our Customers. We'll be sure to ask about this internally and see if we can get some information on when we plan to offer this feature. 

Johnnynumerocin
Explorer C

Hi SWA

Any updates on the thread?  I'd love to be able to have my Samsung gear s3 watch to be able display my boarding pass. 

Thanks