Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Fishing Lures and Hooks - What Gives?

chitownfishing
Explorer C

Hello,

I'm planning to fly for the first time with fishing equipment and I have to say, the TSA and all of the airlines make it very difficult to follow the regulations clearly.

I'm not so worried about my fishing rod as it will easily fit into a carry-on, however, there are too many vague descriptions pertaining to fishing tackle.

The TSA says "Sharp fishing tackle that may be considered dangerous, such as large fish hooks, should be sheathed, securely wrapped, and packed in your checked luggage".  I'm sorry but "large" is a very qualitative term and differs from person to person.

Southwest makes no mention of anything beyond a rod (that I can find).  I'm only going for a few days and am not fishing for sharks, so I would not consider any hooks I will be carrying to be dangerous, but again I don't make those decisions.

Are there any numbers to go off of such as "hooks smaller than 7/0 (7-aught) are allowed"?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Fishing Lures and Hooks - What Gives?

bianca6195
Explorer B

I found this on the Southwest website, I hope it helps:

• Fishing tackle box and fishing rod, Fishing rods must be encased in a sturdy, cylindrical fishing rod container. This container must be able to withstand normal Checked Baggage handling without sustaining damage to the rod. Oversize charges only apply if the fishing rod container is over 91 inches in length and/or more than three inches in diameter. A fishing tackle box must be a suitable, sturdy, and securely closed container. When substituting a fishing rod and/or fishing tackle box for a free checked bag, Southwest Airlines allows for one fishing rod container and one tackle box to count as one checked item, even if they are packed and tagged separately. This one item can be a substitute for one checked bag.

farhanamuneer
Explorer C

Fishing lures and hooks are essential tools for anglers to attract and catch fish. There is a wide variety of lures and hooks available, each designed for specific fishing conditions, species, and techniques.

When selecting lures and hooks, consider the target species, fishing conditions, and your preferred fishing technique. Experimenting with different types can help you determine what works best in different situations. Additionally, be mindful of local fishing regulations and practice ethical and sustainable fishing practices.

farhanamuneer
Explorer C

Selecting the right fishing lures and hooks is crucial for successful fishing, as different types of lures and hooks are designed for various species, conditions, and fishing techniques.

When choosing fishing lures UAE and hooks, consider the target species, water conditions, and your preferred fishing technique. It's also essential to check and comply with local fishing regulations to ensure you're using appropriate gear. Experimenting with different combinations can help you discover what works best in specific situations.