Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Improve boarding & deplaning

N2inmd
Explorer C

1- allow those without carry on luggage to de-plane FIRST. 

2- charge for carry on luggage and make checked bags free. People would check their bags more often making boarding and deplaning easier. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Improve boarding & deplaning

dfwskier
Aviator A

"1- allow those without carry on luggage to de-plane FIRST. "

How woud you propose that to happen? Ever been on a flight with connecting passengers with tight connections where the airline asks everyone who is just getting off to stay seated so those with connections can get off and make thaose connections? Well, everybody gets up anyway despite the request. This would be no different.

"2- charge for carry on luggage and make checked bags free. People would check their bags more often making boarding and deplaning easier. "

Well first of all Southwest doesn't charge for the first 2 checked bags now. Southwest's philosophy isn't to nickel and dime passengers with fees. Charging for carry on's would be against that philosophy, and put th airline in the same category as Spirit --- not going to happen.

The question is: "is Southwest's boardng/deplaning procedure materially worse than American's or Delta's or United"s?" IMO the answer is no.

Re: Improve boarding & deplaning

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Respectfully, I can't imagine the first point helping deplaning.  Have you ever been on a plane when the FAs ask passengers to let those with tight connections get off first?  It works, but it is usually difficult to have folks clear out of the way to make way for those in the back who need to get off.  It would make a tense situation, and policing it would be difficult to impossible.

Regarding the second point, SW already does not charge for checked bags, so unlike with other airlines, if folks are carrying on on SW, it is for convenience.

Bottom line is this: I continue to be blown away with how fast SW can turn a plane.  I am not sure there is any need to mess with a really effective process.

-A List, Companion Pass holder