Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

JOINING A CONNECTING FLIGHT

ronnie33317
Explorer C

My teenagers are scheduled to fly from FLL to BWI tomorrow to avoid hurricane Irma. The flight has a plane change in Tampa. Is there a way for me to drive them to Tampa and have them join the second leg of the flight there?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: JOINING A CONNECTING FLIGHT

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The short, normal answer is no, if you miss the first leg of a reservation the entire reservation gets canceled.

BUT, because of the travel advisory that allows you to make changes to flights departing or arriving in FLL and TPA you should be able to drop the first leg of the trip from the reservation, changing the reservation to just TPA-BWI. All flights are sold out, but since you already have a seat reserved I would think a phone agent could drop the FLL-TPA flight without affecting your TPA-BWI flight. (That's how I would phrase the request, cancel the first leg without modifying the second.) You just wouldn't be able to adjust the schedule because there's no availability. Prepare for long hold times if you do decide to call. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

No. If they don't show up in FLL their tickets will be cancelled as "no-shows" and they wouldn't be allowed to board in TPA. (And you'd lose the funds associated with the flight, per the no-show policy.)

You could try calling and having Southwest rebook them on only the TPA-BWI flight. Be aware that phone hold times are very long right now. 😞

franktravel
Aviator B

To do that, you have to call Southwest to change the departure airport from FLL to TPA.  If you do not board the plane in FLL, please read below. 

"If you do not plan to travel on your flight:" 

In accordance with Southwest’s No Show Policy, if you are not planning to travel on any portion of this itinerary, please cancel your reservation at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of your flight. Customers who fail to cancel reservations for a Wanna Get Away fare segment at least ten (10) minutes prior to travel and who do not board the flight will be considered a no show, and all remaining unused Wanna Get Away funds will be forfeited. All remaining unused Business Select and Anytime funds will be converted to reusable travel funds for the originally ticketed Passenger only. If you no show your reward travel reservation, the points will be redeposited to the purchaser’s Rapid Rewards account. Any taxes and fees associated with your reward travel reservation will be held for future use in the form of reusable travel funds under the name of the traveler(s).