Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Layover: Leaving airport before connecting flight

sonamn
Explorer C

Hi everyone, I have an upcoming flight from Portland, OR to Reno, NV with a 2.5 hour layover in Las Vegas NV (LAS airport)...I wanted to ask your input on passengers leaving the airport to visit the local city attractions, and then returning for their connecting flight. Is this not advised? Wondering if somone has done this in Vegas or at another airport with a long layover. Would coming through the check in counter and TSA become a confusing process? Is LAS a busy enough airport that I should not attempt this? Check in at PDX and Reno airports have always been under an hour, which is why I was considering this. I won't have to carry my bags around either as I just need to catch a connecting flight. Thank you.

P.S. If this is a decent idea, in the future I could choose a flight with an even longer layover to see the city a bit, assuming it's an easy enough process.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Layover: Leaving airport before connecting flight

SWDigits
Aviator A

I am a fan of the "stopover" for international trips and also think it's a great idea for domestic flights if you have enough time. I personally wouldn't try it with a 2.5 hour layover. At the end of the summer we have a little more than 12 hours in FLL (new airport for me) so we'll head out for the day to explore before returning for our evening flight.

To get back through security you just need your ID and boarding pass for the connecting flight, you don't need to go back to the check-in counter.

Customer | Home airport DCA

SWDigits
Aviator A

Here's an article I just found that goes in to more detail:

How Do Layovers Work? A Detailed Guide

Random side note, it's always amazing to realize how fast some things in the airline industry change as there is a reference to WOW air, no longer a thing.

Customer | Home airport DCA

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I agree that doing this in the right situation can be a great way to quickly see a city and kill some time, BUT I would not suggest it with just 2.5hrs in Las Vegas. Las Vegas security times can be horribly unpredictable and really, getting anywhere worth seeing could take close to 30 minutes each way with taxi or ride share wait times. Sadly, I find LAS to be a horrible airport to wait in, it's pretty bleh so I can't recommend anything to do at the airport for 2.5hrs either.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The idea is sound, however I've found that Southwest tends not to allow super-long layovers in most cases. If you find one available, go for it. 

2.5 hours won't be enough to see much of Vegas though. It sounds like you've been to Reno before so there wouldn't be much attraction for getting offsite to gamble. Maybe you'd have time to uber to Mirage, eat a Carnegie Deli sandwich or some other favorite outlet, and then head back to the airport.

Instead if you wanted a longer layover, book your day as one-ways, you should be able to re-check bags to Reno four hours in advance which would give a little more time. Being able to dedicate a couple of hours would be worth walking around one of the resorts of your choice.

Attractions in the airport - if American Express customer take the tram to D-gates and visit the Centurioun Lounge if you like food and drinks, it is included with Platinum but I belive if space is available you can purchase a pass which would be about the same as two taxis to the Bellagio and back.

There is another lounge right in the same area of D-gates as well. Ruby's diner there is also an upgrade over anything in the B-C concourses that Southwest inhabits. Allow 20+ minutes to get back and forth from D-gates to the B/C concourse.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.