Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Lindsey, please just answer one question about OPEN seating

ronnyradio
Adventurer A
Solution

Lindsey, just beating this dead horse again, but SW uses the phrase "Open Seating" and you would think you could define that. The OP simply asked for your definition and I knew he wouldn't get an answer from you for reasons some of the other posters have already identified - basically you don't care. SW continues to monetize the boarding order either through your loyalty program, BS fares, and early bird etc. Then the airline, through pre-board scammers, seat savers and so on, gives it away and the result is your "valued" A-List preferred/BS customers feel like suckers. Please fix this as it is getting worse.

hockeydiva
Adventurer B

I've already started voting with my wallet on this issue. Two weeks ago, I cancelled a BS reservation when I was able to get a walk up, first class ticket on a direct flight for 20% than the SW ticket. I would have switched even if the other ticket was slightly higher just because I wanted to avoid the hassle of SW's seating policies (or lack of policies.)

I could have used the points towards re-qualifying for A-List, but after an already long day of travel, I wasn't interested in dealing with SW's boarding and seating procedures.

davidonelson
Explorer B

Hi Lindsey,

You haven't yet answered the question: 

In regards to the SWA "open seating" policy, if I see a seat that does not have a person sitting in it, is that seat open and/or "available"?

Please answer the question.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@spacecoastbill wrote:

Seeing as their non policy is that there is "no policy for or against" saving seats, telling someone that the policy says a person can save as many seats as they like is a lie.

No, it's not.

No policy against saving seats means you can save seats.

Since there are no qualifiers on that statement -- limiting the number or position of the seats which can be saved, for example -- no policy against saving seats means you can save as many seats as you like.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

The official stated and restated policy is that there is not policy FOR or AGAINST saving seats.

So by your view, One person can come onboard and save every other seat on the airplane?

Ridiculous.  The answer to this is just what many people do.  Ignore any claim that a seat was saved, there is no validity to it.  If you want to sit together, board together.  If not, you are not entitled to any other seat other than the one you are sitting in.

Trying to claim that there is no policy against saving seats so you can save as many seats as you like is disingenuous since there is absolutely no way you can keep the seat saved if anyone wants to sit there.

PaulaO
Explorer C

There's also no policy against sitting in a seat someone is trying to save, so just do it.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@PaulaO wrote:

There's also no policy against sitting in a seat someone is trying to save, so just do it.

Do you plan to sit on the computer case I place on a seat iI'm saving?

Oh, you better not touch my stuff.  

davidonelson
Explorer B

Most people know their belongings should be put under the seat in from of them or in the overhead bin, not taking up the seat next to them.  If people put their belongings on the seat next to them, then yes, the item needs to be moved so the person next in line can sit there if they desire.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@davidonelson wrote:

Most people know their belongings should be put under the seat in from of them or in the overhead bin, not taking up the seat next to them.  If people put their belongings on the seat next to them, then yes, the item needs to be moved so the person next in line can sit there if they desire.

I won't move my computer case from a seat I'm saving. You planning to touch my stuff or sit on the computer case?

Wwhen I'm early on the plane and decide that I want to use the lav during boarding, I put my computer case on my seat to let others know that the seat is taken.

How do you plan to distinguish between he situations described in paragraphs 1 & 2?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest has posted multiple times before that they have no policy for or against seats saving, that they understand passengers may want to save a seat for friends or family, and that they expect passengers to work it out among themselves.

One suspects that's your answer.