Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Military Boarding Policy

Ebruin02
Explorer A

I appreciate the courtesy that Southwest and other airlines extend to the Military allowing us to board with the family group.

However, being a Navy servicemember, I am compelled to point out that generally Navy Sailors do not travel in uniform.  This is a long standing OPSEC requirement going back decades.  In many airports you may see the USAF or USAR travelling in their cammies.  This also happens to be their every day uniform.  Who you don't see travelling in the comperable uniform is the Navy nor USMC.  This is policy.

So what is difficult to comprehend is why does being in uniform matter to Southwest? If a member has a valid Military ID, they should be able to enjoy the benefit.  Period.  I'd like to point out that less friendly or amusing airlines to do not require Military to be in uniform to utilize a boarding benefit.

To Customer Service - Please reconsider the wording of the Military Boarding Policy.  Does being in uniform really matter in offering the benefit?

84 REPLIES 84

Re: Military Boarding Policy

maggiewaterman
Explorer C

First, thank you for your service in the Navy. I don't know where you got your information, but my neice is a captain in the Air Force and my son is an Airman for the last several years in the Air Force and like you, they NEVER travel in their uniform unless it's really unavoidable, they are on duty and enroute using a commercial flight (uncommon). Even while on missions my son will be out of uniform while traveling internationally because our military gets targeted and he tells me that is our nation's policy. He says NOBODY travels in their uniforms. Sometimes a guy might be returning from active duty and doesn't have anything else to wear, but usually that will be with a large group of soldiers. But unfortunately a lot of "stolen valor" fakers get a lot of attention with fake uniforms (I know, I was shocked too) and they get special priveleges and a lot of undeserved THANKS by posing in uniforms. Military ID should be the ONLY way Southwest shows respect and if they are showing deference to a UNIFORM, they might be rewarding very BAD behaviour. Good Grief. Thanks again. I hope Southwest will show you the respect you deserve instead of the "stolen valor" fakers. 

dmmudd757
Explorer C

When I returned from OIF, we traveled in uniform from Kuwait in a military chartered flight, to Washington, D.C.   We then traveled to our home airports via commercial flights, still in uniform (cammies).  I was in the U.S. Navy.  My point is that everyone may have had a different experience.

khamilton
Explorer C

I have written a strongly worded email about this matter. We had a flight attendant very rude to us on our last flight becasue the group coming back from HBL was not in uniform and did not allow them to just show ID to board the plane. How disrespecful to the men and women that fight for this country. Please send emails and ask for this to be changed. We will not loyal SW customers for much longer if this continues

jnpeppers
Explorer A

Why no response from Southwest on this question?

[insert sound of crickets]

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

This forum site is meant to be user-to-user questions and answers. The message board staff jump in from time to time and monitor things, but they may not be in position to say one way or the other. You can ping the board managers directly though, @LindseyD any thoughts on next steps for this one?

It isn't a specific customer service question, i.e. this isn't a question that you would call the 800 number and ask...

My own thoughts, one issue might be the perception. When in uniform, everyone at the gate will understand what is happening. When the policy was originally developed maybe it was more common for servicemembers to be in uniform even when traveling commercial - with changing trends maybe the policy is outdated regarding uniforms.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Vapor6
Explorer B

But Southwest needs to understand what 'THREATCON LEVEL' means and how it affects Military Personnel. 

Archaic, arbitrary policies. Can't trust a company that doesn't consider the current state of affairs in the U.S. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Vapor6 wrote:

But Southwest needs to understand what 'THREATCON LEVEL' means and how it affects Military Personnel. 

Archaic, arbitrary policies. Can't trust a company that doesn't consider the current state of affairs in the U.S. 

What are you even talking about?!

skdeyne
Explorer C

They announce "uniformed military personnel".  That's not the same as military personnel in uniform.  If you have an ID (Common Access Card), you can show that and board between A and B.  I do this every time for personal and military travel.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Officially, Southwest doesn't have a published policy. They allow ops agents to do as they choose, and most generally require military to be in uniform to board between A and B., when they offer military boarding at all.