Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Military Boarding Policy

Rtjkdavis
Explorer C

The policy is exploitative. They are only boarding for advertising benefit. The policy should be abolished all together or made a real benefit to all active duty. It is especially shameful since we are frequently forced to take Southwest when booking through the government’s travel system, DTS. 

Palu0561
Explorer C

SW Flt 696 @1140 to RDU

I agree. We were on a mission where our authorized uniform was civililian clothes. It was embarrassing walking up to board as “active duty, uniformed members,” only to be told we must be “in uniform.” I explained to the boarding agent that we were wearing our authorized uniform for the mission, but she denied boarding. Furthermore, there are many active duty personel (OSI) who do not wear the standard military uniform in performance of official duties. It does not feel SINCERE when SW shows appreciation for active duty “uniformed members” only when we are “wearing the uniform”. SW policy verbiage should be changed to be more forthright with their intentions. Service in the air ended up being top notch...so no problems there. 

Joe

SWDigits
Aviator A

It's still my undertanding that Southwest does not have a military boarding policy.  If such a policy exists (on the web or elsewhere) then please point me to it, I'd like to be able to provide a reference for others!

I think what is seen in airports today is an informal practice that has, by default, become an unwritten policy.

Customer | Home airport DCA

_Corpus_
Explorer C

Completely agree.  It is an empty gesture, that lends them "good will" to the civilian population, while offering nothing to the militarypersonnel.  The policy should either allow active duty to board early or not have the offer at all.  

Brian126aa
Explorer B

Southwest should set a policy and enforce it.  Letting local gate agents decide does their company image damage. 

Jwtr0803
Explorer C

I was actually turned away at the gate today because the attendant said I was not in uniform; and honestly I don’t necessarily need to board before others, I just wish they would be consistent.  I have not had this issue before but obviously there should be some clarification to Southwest’s employees.  

BobDenby
Explorer C

Yeah exactly, make a policy and stick to it

Brian126aa
Explorer B

@Jwtr0803 wrote:

I was actually turned away at the gate today because the attendant said I was not in uniform; and honestly I don’t necessarily need to board before others, I just wish they would be consistent.  I have not had this issue before but obviously there should be some clarification to Southwest’s employees.  

What Airport??

dwelling
Explorer C

Department of the Navy does not allow commercial travel in and routine service or working uniforms. This policy was put into place after a Navy diver was singled out during a hijacking.

SWA has a policy that effectively excludes Sailors and Marines.

it is embarrassing calling for “uniformed personnel”  on official business for boarding only to be turned away because I’m not in a uniform.

The term “uniformed personnel” includes the military, Public Health Service and National Oceanographic Atmospheric Administration folks both in and out of a uniform. 

BobDenby
Explorer C

Just tried boarding between A and B, didn’t work, the guy wouldn’t let me on. Said the “best he could do was after B30’” So he basically just randomly made something up on the spot. I will avoid Southwest whenever possible. The open seating policy is frustrating.