Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Military Boarding

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ffflyer wrote:

Why doesn't SW let anyone with a valid active or even retired military ID board with the line of fake pre boarders? 

I'd much rather give up a good seat to an active or retired member of the military than to someone who is so low that they fake a disability to cut the line.

I know not all disabilities can be seen. I also know that it's unreasonable to think that three dozen people of so on every SW flight now needs assistance. 

Hmmm. I fly SW a lot - maybe 500 flights in the last 15 years, and I've never seen 36 preboarders -- and you say you see that number on every flight. I don't believe it.

mamasan67
Explorer C

The same thing happened to my son yesterday when he was flying home from leave.  Even though he had his military ID they refused him priority boarding because he was not in uniform and he ended up being one of the last to board and try to find a seat.

It is crazy that they could not know that our military does not travel in uniform for their own protection.  This has me about sick that Southwest would disrespect those who defend our freedom that way. My family and I will never fly Southwest again.

Skibb1477
Explorer C

Just as an FYI per the Department of Defense, member are not authorized to travel in uniform. The only time this is authorized is if a member is to report directly to a duty station or a military flight where they are required to be in uniform or will not have the opportunity to change in uniform. So, your policy of military boarding only captures a very small percentage of members that could use this. 

Llittleton
Explorer C

This says "solved" but the solution is that this is beyond what can be handled in this forum. That is NOT a solution. As a mother of a Marine, I am a part of several Facebook groups that constantly have posts about how dishonorably Southwest Airlines has treated their loved ones. These young men and women do not deserve this treatment and every one of these posts receive hundreds of comments and are seen by MANY people. PLEASE either stop offering it before every flight OR allow military ID to be presented.

PLEASE WORK TO SOLVE THIS ISSUE, FOR YOUR SAKE.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest offers a military discount, and exempts military passengers traveling on orders from the two-piece baggage limit or any excess, oversize, or overweight baggage fees. How is not giving the early boarding disrespectful? I have friends and family members who are in the service or are career military, and while they always appreciate any consideration offered, they never expect anything special, much less demand it or threaten to take their business elsewhere when it's not offered. I suspect many would be embarrassed by some of the posts here, purportedly on their behalf.

jksobonya
Aviator A

If Southwest only allows members of the military to board after the A group if they are in uniform, then I agree that this policy may need to be readdressed. I feel like a military ID is sufficient enough evidence that one is a member of the military and can board early. I am not sure if being in uniform should be a requirement for reasons stated previously (safety concerns, etc.). Of course, if the military member is already in the A group, then all of this a moot point. 

--Jessica