Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Mobile boarding pass disappearing

jrw275180
Explorer C

For my past 2 flights, while I am at the airport, my boarding pass disappeared from my phone.  This was after getting through security but prior to boarding.  I am using an Android phone.  I am aware that you can pull the boarding pass up again via confirmation number or could also go to a desk.  This just seems like a potential bug of the app and wanted to make aware.  Coincidentally, both flights were delayed by more than 1 hour - not sure if this has anything to do with it.  I would think the boarding pass should remain until after boarding.  Thanks for listening!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Mobile boarding pass disappearing

dfwskier
Aviator A

You can save a copy of your boarding pass to your phone's photo album. That would fix your problem.

Look for the camera icon at the top right of your boarding pass screen -- just above and to the right of the reference to google pay.

adriandholmes
Explorer B

Hello! I'm sorry to hear about your inconvenience.

I'm thinking the most likely answer to your quandary is simply that yes, the SWA app is experiencing a slight glitch. If you discover that the app still does not retain your digital boarding passes, even after reloading the app or restarting your mobile device, unfortunately your only safe option would be to have paper passes printed at the nearest gate.

I flew SWA a few weeks ago from RDU to MCO and my flight was delayed by nearly 3 hours two minutes before I checked a bag at the counter in Raleigh. I had already completed mobile check-in the night before and had paid for EarlyBird Check-In, but my app reflected the new boarding time almost instantly. I never noticed an issue with disappearing passes.

I use an Apple iPhone, so I realize my phone does update on a different schedule than Android smartphones; however, I noticed that the latest SWA update on iPhone dropped about a week ago. If this issue persists, I wouldn't be surprised if we see another update released within the couple of weeks with the note that says "We squashed some bugs," or another similar phrase.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The Southwest Android app doesn't actually "save" your boarding pass. It pulls it down live, and then you have to choose to save it to Google Pay (recommended) or your photo album. If you don't, you'll find that your boarding pass cannot be pulled down again later if you don't have signal anymore, or -- as was likely the issue here -- your flight is delayed and you're trying to access it later than the scheduled departure and Southwest thinks it's already departed (an widely reported, odd "bug" of the app/Southwest system).

If you save your BP to Google Pay, it will pull up easily when needed, with your phone's brightness set to max and auto-rotate turned off automatically, helping it scan quickly. 

I'm not sure if the Android app auto updates a mobile BP saved to Google Pay in the case of flight changes yet, as it does with the Apple version, but one hopes that feature will be incorporated as well, and is another reason to use Google Pay to save your BP.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Definitely a "feature" of delayed flights, the app assumes you've departed and no longer need the boarding pass. I recommend taking screenshots of your boarding pass. I've heard gate agents on delayed flights ask everyone using a digital boarding pass to double check they have an image saved or to come up to the desk and get a paper boarding pass.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you're using the term "feature" sarcastically, yes. 😉