Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Multiple Sclerosis The Not So Visible Pre-board

dhaigh
Explorer C

My wife has MS, it is slowly but surely taking away her mobility.  Her MS is primarly impacting her knees making it impossible to stand, or sit, for extended periods of time without swelling and increasing pain.  The period of time is slowly but surely decreasing as we get older, but needless to say she has to put her legs up, and apply ice packs in order to counteract the inevitable swelling and pain.  Now TSA no longer allows us to bring 'ice packs' on board and so we wet towles and freeze them in zip lock bags before boarding in order to allow her to fly.

A lot of folks say pre-boards are taking advantage, but I will trade anyone who has such an opnion their life for a life living with MS anyday of any week just to gain a pre-board spot.  We fly southwest BECAUSE of their pre-board policy, it is the only airline which my wife can tolorate.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Multiple Sclerosis The Not So Visible Pre-board

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@dhaigh sorry to hear that your wife is going through this battle. She is lucky to have you on her side.  SWA is great with handling sensative circumstances such as yours... and to be honest, your wife’s circumstances are the reason they offer pre-boarding. Please let other passengers  unnecessary opinions roll off of you. Their opinions don’t really matter anyways. What does matter is that you and your wife at least deserve this one tiny benefit. Happy Travels! 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@dhaigh Thank you for sharing!  The passengers who are so quick to cry wolf over pre-boards likely have not experienced having someone close to them with MS, or macular degeneration, or extreme anxiety, etc.  As you point out, not all challenges are visible.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Not true.

Im sure in this case that she did not magically get healed in flight like the pre-board fakers.

Those that genuinly need to preboard because of visible or not visible conditions are not the problem.  Those faking it to preboard are.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Thank you for sharing your wife's story. We're happy to know we've been able to contribute to her travel comfort in a small way, and we will always offer preboarding to her and our other Customers who don't experience the access and/or comfort the majority of other Passengers enjoy but may not even think about. We thank you for your kind words and friendship, and we look forward to our next opportunity to welcome the two of you onboard!

Nicole
Community Manager

sirjeff
Explorer B

Yes Kudos to SWA! My wife had dementia (she has now passed away) and we traveled and traveled as long as we could. We got a lot of looks from SWA employees but......the traveling public can be rude and crude. One day those same commentors will walk in those shoes also. Do as you can as long as you can. You have my support.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@sirjeff wrote:

Yes Kudos to SWA! My wife had dementia (she has now passed away) and we traveled and traveled as long as we could. We got a lot of looks from SWA employees but......the traveling public can be rude and crude. One day those same commentors will walk in those shoes also. Do as you can as long as you can. You have my support.

Sorry to hear of your wife's passing, Jeff. Thanks for posting.

Yes, as you have seen here (and unfortunately in person), the travelling public can be rude, crude and judgemental - without knowing the facts.