Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: People Saving Seats

dfwskier
Aviator A

@spacecoastbill wrote:

@ronnyradio wrote:

I hear ya Bill but not too many would want to sit there for what may be hours next to someone who is giving you the stink eye for the whole flight or to cause a confrontation even tthough the seat-saver is also responsible...just not a great situation and one that won't change until some hot-heads really get into it...

Let them.  I just laugh at them.  

They will get up and leave to go sit with the people they wanted to save the seats for.

Some people disagree with you.

I'd suggest that you respect their opinins as they have respected yours.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

@dfwskier wrote:

@spacecoastbill wrote:

@ronnyradio wrote:

I hear ya Bill but not too many would want to sit there for what may be hours next to someone who is giving you the stink eye for the whole flight or to cause a confrontation even tthough the seat-saver is also responsible...just not a great situation and one that won't change until some hot-heads really get into it...

Let them.  I just laugh at them.  

They will get up and leave to go sit with the people they wanted to save the seats for.

Some people disagree with you.

I'd suggest that you respect their opinins as they have respected yours.

Many disagree with you.  Dont like the comment?   Move along.....

GeoSTORM59
Explorer C

Appreciate being able to drop in, and see a few comments/takes, as I recently had a similar experience, having purchased Early Bird, 1st time, ending w/ B05, and flying PVD to DCA, for a HS graduation...things were a bit hectic to the point of my sibling asking if I'd mind ride sharing > normal pick-up, and, on top of that, a major Metro reno, impacting Reagan Natl, had Metro down, and requiring a bit of a walk, and a bus, to get to where I needed to go (hence, my 1st Early Bird)...

...I'm boarding, and, I see, in 1st rows left and right, the window seat only, with companion dog, one side, but with a phone on one of the two open seats, and a magazine on the other...

...on the other side, I see a gentleman, who I'd guess in his mid 20s, middle seat left, and occupant in the aisle seat left...

...I ask about window seat left, and gent in the middle seat apologizes, indicates that's saved...

...I turn to the gentleman traveling with the pet, and ask if the middle and aisle seat right, are taken, or if those are his personal items, he indicates those are note his items, and gent in middle seat left, chirps up, "they're saved"...

...I'm now aware this gent has paid a $20 Early Bird fee, traveling with 3 others, who did not, and saving 3 seats, I've folks behind me backing up, and, as I look to Southwest attendant Michelle, who, it's clear can see something is going on, hears something is going on, now has me turning, asking from help, to which I get the two palms up gesture, and "I'm not certain what's going on"...

...and, so, I, in the moment decide to slip back into next available aisle seat, about 5-6 rows back  > delaying further...

...THAT won't happened again...as other have suggested here, I'll sit in the first open seat.  If I had, this time, instead of my looking at the back end of my Metro Bus, after a brisk near 30 minute walk, just missing it, and having to wait another 30 minutes, I'd likely have caught that bus....

...and, if "Michelle" - her actual name - had been as engaged enforcing the Early Bird & Boarding policies, as she was enforcing other policies (I thought the blunt "say goodbye" to the senior sitting next to me, "enforcing" the turning off phone policy was curt bordering on rude...as was her banishing a traveler to their seat for lingering near the RR, too long, with it occupied, certainly showed her understanding of SW policies)...I would have...

Thank you, "Michelle" from Southwest, for setting me straight, and appreciate SW making this forum available, for me to confirm SW doesn't care to enforce this, so, as suggested, when I see a seat that matches my "seat", I'll be making that "match".

ronnyradio
Adventurer A

more seat saving fun

Flying back to TPA from MDW last Thursday, fake pre-boarder sits in the bulkhead aisle with her stuff all over the other two seats; I was A-3 and the opposite bulkhead row was completely empty so no biggie for me. Guy comes on, asks for the window in my row and has to put his bags up of course and by that time needed to put stuff in the overhead on the opposite side (over seat saving lady) she gives him the evil eye but doesn't say anything. Next a lady comes on and takes the middle in my row and again has to put stuff above SS lady. All front bins are full now and closed. You can guess what happens next...

So, her companions finally board (guessing late B or so) and of course have 4 carry-on's between them, open the first 3-4 bins and of course all are full. So they stand there, causing a ruckus and holding up everyone for at least 5 minutes and SS lady starts complaining to the FA that the two others in my row should not have been able to put stuff above her "saved" seats - you can't make this stuff up. Window guy says "are you serious" and she shuts up. 

Plane arrives and SS lady tells the companions "i'll meet you at the top" and bolts out of there faster than a NY minute...

Also on this flight there was at least 3 SWA employees that pre-boarded as well and while it looked like they didn't take exit rows etc. whats up with that?

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

The employees may have been deadheading to their next work assignment.  I dont have a problem with them preboarding, they dont take the "prime" locations like bulkheads or exit rows.