Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: People of Size

sebomiltos
Explorer C

Hey hey - fat dude here.  Trust me, I am just as mortified as the rest of you with TWF (traveling while fat).  I don't want to encroach on your space and I want your trip to be as uneventful and comfortable as possible.  Prior to learning about Southwest's COS policy, I did everything I could to minimize inconvenience for my follow passengers.  I payed for earlybird boarding, sat next to windows and leaned against the hull, and I even fasted the day prior to the flight so that I wouldn't have to get up and use the bathroom on long flights.  

One day prior to a packed flight, a gate attendant approached me and offered me an extra seat.  I'll be honest - that gesture alone likely made me a customer for life.  I've been utilizing their COS policy ever since.  I still pay for early bird boarding and follow my routine flying habits....but I am glad Southwest has made it easy to take the anxiety out of flight for myself and my fellow passengers.  

madeintexas806
Explorer C

I am so saddened reading some of these comments. I am a plus size person and just purchased my first flight ever. When buying my ticket i had no clue about this extra seat. Had I known I would have gotten another. I am a plus sized women because of a medical condition. Not because I want to be and eat all the time. I have health issues. So fit you people who talk such crap. Maybe pray for that big person. I would love the prayers that someday I can be skinny and perfect like y’all. These comments has me scared to death to get on my flight next Tuesday. But in order to go where I need to go I have no choice. Driving is not an option for me. Anyone who is large that reads this. Thank you. Y’all have a good night now and God Bless. 

Passenger1C
Aviator C

I would think that a plus sized person also doesn’t want to be that close to a stranger. Why would they want their body touching you? Try to remain calm and make the best out of the situation. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion