Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pre-boarding: why am I paying for business select?!?

Msweetnam
Explorer C

I pay significantly more for business select and im sitting here watching a host of fit people walk into the plane ahead of me. WHY AM I PAYING MORE AGAIN? 20190821_165255.jpg

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Pre-boarding: why am I paying for business select?!?

bec102896
Aviator A

Some disabilities are not noticeable and there is only so much the airline can do. The airline can’t ask a person what there disability is and they can’t Judge and say you don’t look like you have a disability you can’t preboard or they would be in a lot of legal trouble. 

Msweetnam
Explorer C

So why not load them with family boarding? 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

@Msweetnam Because of the law. More here:

“It is the Enforcement Office’s view that section 382.93 requires carriers to board passengers with disabilities who self- identify at the gate as needing to preboard for one of the listed reasons to board the plane before all other passengers, including first class passengers, elite-level passengers, members of the military, passengers with small children, etc. The purpose of section 382.93 is to afford passengers with disabilities who are entitled to preboard enough time and space to board, stow their accessibility equipment, or be seated safely.“

SW dues actually offer two options: medical preboard (before general boarding) and extra time (with family boarding), but they have to comply with how people self identify. And not all disabilities are visible. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

theflightman
Explorer C

The sad fact is that some people are more than happy to trade their souls for a better seat on a cheap flight.

All the more reason for SW to go to assiged seats. Or for those who are bothered by these frauds to go to another airline where you can reserve your seat when you make your reservation.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@theflightman wrote:

The sad fact is that some people are more than happy to trade their souls for a better seat on a cheap flight.

All the more reason for SW to go to assiged seats. Or for those who are bothered by these frauds to go to another airline where you can reserve your seat when you make your reservation.

Open seating allows operational efficiency other airlines would kill for. Don't expect it to change anytime soon.

Everything in life is a tradeoff. So is flying. Go to another airline to get assigned seas and you also get to pay for those seats, and for your checked bags, and in some cases your carry on, too,. and for changing or cancelling your flight. In some cases you get to pay for your drinks and snacks, too.

Everyone has to decide what tradeoffs are acceptable.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

There are several benefits that come with buying Business Select fares including refundability, additional Rapid Rewards point earnings, a free drink, and early boarding, BUT If you're paying a bunch of extra money for Business Select fares just for early boarding then you're definitely not doing things right. That would be like buying Business Select just for the free drink. Buy a Wanna Get Away fare and then buy early boarding for $40 at the gate and you'll be less inclined to scream about paying more when a group of preboarders gets in front of you. It also helps to remember while a small group of people may board ahead of you, you're still ahead of the mass of people in A16-C60.

--TheMiddleSeat

Missing_Aria
Adventurer C

A: Good job trying to shame people when you have no idea what their issues are.

B: There’s not that many people in this picture, so even if they are all preboarding this is a completely reasonable amount of people.

c: I see only 1 person who seems like they might not be disabled, but even then I wouldn’t assume. One lady is literally pushing a wheelchair in this picture and 2 are elderly and hunched over.

SM7
Explorer A

Southwest Business Select & A-List preferred status is a joke. I've been an A-List member for 15+ yrs & an A-List Preferred for couple yrs & have flown on Business Select quite a few times. Southwest couldn't care less, they are like.... thank you for your money & being a suc*ker.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SM7 wrote:

Southwest Business Select & A-List preferred status is a joke. I've been an A-List member for 15+ yrs & an A-List Preferred for couple yrs & have flown on Business Select quite a few times. Southwest couldn't care less, they are like.... thank you for your money & being a suc*ker.

Business Select and A List get you only two things: A better boarding spot and likely an aisle or windows seat in the front of the plane. I guess A-List preferred and Business Select  get you more RR points/$ spent.

Give it a break.