Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Preboarding with Family

cherylphoebe
Explorer C

Next month I am traveling with 3 other adult famiy members and my 4 month old son. I know that I can preboard with my baby, but I'm wondering if the other adult family members in my party will be able to preboard with me as well?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Preboarding with Family

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Actually, Family Boarding is not preboarding, it's between the A and B boarding groups. It's technically limited to one adult traveling with a child six years old or younger, but some agents allow multiple family members to board together at that time. Preboarding is for passengers with a disability that have specific seating needs and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft. Your best bet in order to board together is to check in right at 24 hours prior to departure and hopefully receive A boarding positions. Good luck!

tpegan
Explorer A

I've been on a Southwest flight where a woman asked to board in the family group even though her daughters were both teenagers.  The agent agreed to let her.  Now Southwest can cop-out on the saving seats issue by saying that they have no policy but they have a very specific policy about family boarders and typically choose not to enforce it.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I think it was an honest question about what the procedure is from someone not familiar with Southwest @Pharmgirl99.

But yes - family boarding is beetween A and B groups, if you didn't already get A boarding passes due to prompt check-in time, Early Bird, A-list, or other means. One person along with young child, although we've generally had both parents go at the same time if I didn't use my A-list position.

Preboarding is for medical conditions that cause someone to need more time or assistance, difficulty standing/walking, etc.

Check in with the gate agent ahead of time and they will help you navigate the situation.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Preboarding is also for people who want better seats and just fake a reason to get on, or those who need a miracle flight and get healed in the air resulting in their medical condition being cured on exit.... only until the next flight of course.