Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Preboarding

MegM
Explorer C

What documentation do I need to Preboarding a flight?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Preboarding

camatuse
Adventurer B

Passengers who require additional assistance and passengers traveling with a child under the age of six years old may preboard. Please see a Customer Service Agent at your departure gate to receive a preboard pass.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Great Question! I'm happy to offer some insight on that. 

Priority preboarding is available for Customers who have a specific seating need to accommodate their disability, need assistance in boarding the aircraft, or who need to stow an assistive device.  Customers who are traveling with assistance and emotional support animals qualify for preboarding.  If a Customer with a disability simply needs a little extra time to board, we will permit the Customer to board before Family Boarding, between the “A” and “B” groups. 

An adult traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should board in their assigned boarding position.

lmcdenver
Explorer C

I have a temporary need for preboarding for our trip on August 30 from Denver to NY.  How to I go about assuring I can get the help I need?  I also need an asile seat.

Please and thank you

Lynn Cooper

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @lmcdenver,

Just make sure you visit with the Customer Service Agent at the gate once you've checked in for your flight. He or she will be able to provide you with the appropriate documents for preboarding. 

MarcieOboe
Explorer C

1. Doesn't a cane count as an assistive device for storage purposes? After years of much appreciated painless preboarding & great support, SW gate agents are suddenly questioning my needs. If a support animal is enough to justify a preboard card, I'd think a support device would do so as well.

2. I have flown 4-5 roundtrips, all to different airports, since SW tightened up their preboarding policy, and it wasn't until I read this post today that I realized that customer service reps are supposed to be asking me if I have specific seating needs, which is true--I am physically incapable of climbing over other passengers. Every single one of them has asked if I need a "specific seat" (as in 17B?) to which my answer is "no," resulting in an unpleasant delay & conversation.

hjam1984
Explorer A

I always preboard because I'm autistic and have severe anxiety.  Preboarding and getting settled before the huge crowd and selecting a specific seat helps my anxiety tremendously.  I have never had a problem getting a preboard authorization.  All I do is walk up to the customer service desk and tell them I need to preboard because I'm autistic and have anxiety.  I've never had anyone ask questions.  I board right after the people in wheelchairs, etc.  There have been people with canes preboard before me.  Also, many times, people with canes are in wheelchairs to help them get around the airport.  That might be an option for you.

Rlaveau
Explorer A

Preboarding is a joke and anyone can and does preboard , as an alist flier it decreases my standing and that of business select. Either charge for preboard or have it. Between A and B . Too many people preboard with out a. See for extra time to board.

Johnwandrad
Explorer B

The preboarding process integrity is shot. I watch people preboard and it's obvious they are playing the system. Also if the rule is to board with a group make that policy. I watched a gate agent let a family of three board with the person with the A boarding and others were B and C. It's a joke. The agent should have informed them of the policy or they will continue to take advantage. The flight was 458 Monday November 14 Chicago to Orange County. You should inform agent of rule. 

rburton12
Explorer A

I have been on flights in which 50-60 people have pre-boarded.  Looking at them I would estimate maybe 10-15 needed it.

The agents working the flight were joking about the high altitude miracle cure as most of them did not need any assistance getting off the plane.

Southwest states that they can't ask questions regarding disabilities but they can make changes to the procedures to discourage the abuse.  Like others I am an A List preferred member and it's frustrating to watch this along with some gate agents who do not look at the number positions on each boarding pass allowing for cutting.  Perhaps pre boards should be required to sit in the back of the aircraft for starters?