Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Saving Seats Problem - Here is what you can do

Luna
Explorer C

to the guy who sat in 5A from DIA to MSP 6AM October 31st, who placed his sweater on seat next to him, trying to 'save' the seat later to find no one was seated there..feeling white privileged? Get over yourself! This world is NOT about you or the color of your skin.. it's called the plane is public space anyone can sit there! 

Angrysouthwest
Explorer C

Oh brother

tnsplayer
Explorer C

I've seen privleged people of all races & ethnicities.  Please don't make bad behaviour a race issue.  

IMHO...that would make you the racist.

anamerty
Explorer B

so what you are saying is that people will pay the fee for early bird seating for one of them and hold for the other instead of paying for preboarding? So I could have only paid for one of us and held a seat for my husband and saved the $15 ? Wow. should have done it NOT

pollardmd
Explorer C

I am reading old messages without realizing it, but when I see a $15 early board I know that it's old.  We paid $45 each to early board in 2023 and still were pretty much at the back of the plane so we could sit together.  I never thought about only paying for one and trying to save a seat.  We like to sit together when flying so the cost was worth it to us.  When trying to sit in a saved seat/row I would worry about having that person who tried to save it aggravate me the whole trip.  In my opinion, it is not worth it.  I do agree that Southwest should assign seats or ban saving seats, with all the negative energy you see on planes these days it's not worth it to try to upset someone. 

Jtravel
Explorer C

Today I paid for early check in. When I boarded a passenger had saved 5 seats by putting bags all over them. I could have insisted on sitting in one but then would have been in a group of people mad at me. Why even have assigned boarding order if you let people save seats? It’s clear in this case 1 person in the group of 6 paid $15 and used it to seat 6 people. I think a solution could be to allow seat saving from the middle of the plane back so that cheaters don’t get the prime seats.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Jtravel wrote:

Today I paid for early check in. When I boarded a passenger had saved 5 seats by putting bags all over them. I could have insisted on sitting in one but then would have been in a group of people mad at me. Why even have assigned boarding order if you let people save seats? It’s clear in this case 1 person in the group of 6 paid $15 and used it to seat 6 people. I think a solution could be to allow seat saving from the middle of the plane back so that cheaters don’t get the prime seats.

There have been many suggestions about what to do about seat saving. Yours is one that, IMO, actually makes sense. Thanks for sharing it!.

Since this is a customer to customer forum, it is not the best place to actually get the airline to evaluate your suggestion. I'd suggest that you e-mail the airline. To do so, click on "contact us" at the bottom this page and then pick e-mail from the choices listed on the top left of the ensuing page.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

There is already a solution to seat saving.  

Sit where you want.

Why worry about others being mad because they want to game the system and be cheap?

@Jtravel wrote:

buzzchris
Adventurer B

I flew SW for business (law enforcement) for over 11 years.  A couple of times, as a LEO ( the FAs knew I was an LEO). I was asked to intervene because someone aggressively took a saved seat and an argument broke out,..almost a physcial fight. (We were still on the ground, they should have called airport police, not me...but that's another story).  If some does take a saved seat, (which they should be allowed to,..remember, no SW saved seat pollicy) , be prepared for possible confrontations. 

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@buzzchris wrote:

I flew SW for business (law enforcement) for 11 years.  A few times, as a LEO the FAs knew I was an LEO and armed. More than four times, I had to intervene because someone aggressively took a saved seat and an argument broke out,..almost a physcial fight.    I have seen twice, a passenger in the A1-A15 group save two entire rows for their family  who were in the C group.     I am all for saving ONE seat, only one seat, for your spouse or a family member. I am all for no saving of seats in the premium emerg exit row seats. 

As i said in my response to your other post, if you don't like the polcy, you should e-mail the airline.