Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Saving Seats

Framar
Explorer C

I totally agree with you Chris.  I am an A list member and I was saving a seat for my son who is not.  A lady come on and wanted to take it and when I said, I'm sorry it is saved for my son  on an isle, she went crazy on me.  It was only the 7th seat down and all the rest were empty. She made such a scene but I just decided to ignore her.  I'm sure if her son was flying with her she would want to save a seat for him too.  I have never seen anyone save 7 seats. The most is 2 that I have seen. 

This is Southwest and if all you people who complain about saving seats, if you don't like it, there are many other airlines outthere.

Southwest is the best, if you ask me!

Maria

jcwoodruff
Explorer C

Nope nope nope. I am also an A lister but believe if you want to get everyone in a group larger than 2 people, you should have to pay for early boarding for all people in the group.  Totally elitist and unfair not to do so.

MCOAnne
Explorer A

The fair thing is to buy early bird for your family.  If you are traveling that much for work, the bit of coin it will cost is less than your weekly Starbucks budget.  DYKWIA much?

Ps—I’m an AA million miler. That and a dollar still won’t get me coffee at Starbucks. 

wrote:

Hello All,

I thought I should clear this up on behalf os southwest in the nicest way possible, because they won't want to be rude in there response. So the policy is very FAIR. If I am a southwest A-list preferred member because I fly over 50 flights a year, and in some cases over 100 flights. Then when I travel with my family whom is not A-List, and get B and C boarding positions, how is it unfair for me to save them a seat? The people that are complaining are those that buy the Wanna Get Away fare and have 7 people and expect to sit next to each other. How about next time one of you get the early bird check-in for $15 and save seats yourself? I refuse to sit in the front while my family gets stuck in the back because I can't save a seat for them. And guess what?? If you don't like it then next time fly Spirit... Please and Thanks!

P.S. I'm sorry for sounding mean but seriously if you spend $200,000+ a year on southwest airfare, then yes I will be saving seats for my family so that we can all sit together. You can do the same by paying $15. You might as well email United and tell them its not fair for people to book first class tickets because you feel inferior.

Your Truly,

A Southwest Loyalist

Eds1104
Explorer C

So shouldn't your family pay to upgrade? Why should your status insure they get priority boarding? 

jmcmd
Adventurer C

I agree totally, I fly SWA more than 20 times per year and believe one saved seat, though not really fair either, is tolerable, more than one is not.  If you want to get on the plane together, pay as I do every time I fly.

chris535355
Explorer B

So let me put you in my shoes. I have 3 kids and a wife. I'm A1 and board first. Your telling me I should sit in the front like I expect to because I spend so much, and I should only save a seat for 1 kid. Meanwhile my wife and other 2 kids should sit in the back of the plane. Try that with your significant other and kids and see how that works. Also, please dont say then you all sit in the back because I spend a lot, most likely more then everyone else, and I feel as If I should be able to sit wherever I want. Mainly because again I spend ALOT. The rest are just looking for a cheap fare. And like Southwest always says, you have plenty of options when flying 🙂

Thanks!

jmcmd
Adventurer C

Speaks again for buying assigned seats and paying for what you get, then.

imsherylt
Explorer B

I pay the pre-boarding fee & when I board the plane I expect to get what I pay for. If you want your family to get 'choice seats', pay the pre-boarding fee so you can all board together. Why should I be done out of a seat I am paying for that your family did not? 

hockeydiva
Adventurer B

I am already in your shoes. Sometimes I'm flying alone (why I am A-List) and sometimes with spouse and 3 kids.

If we all want to sit together, we board together and I forfit my early boarding position.

We generally split up and one kids boards with me in the A group (one is young enough that they generally allow this, and the kid takes a middle seat), and the other two board with my spouse. Those two are old enough not to care if they are right next to a parent. In this case, I will also take the biggest carry-ons to ensure that we get those on board.

Put yourself in my shoes. 

I'm A-2. You walk in first alone and grab 5 seats, and maybe now I don't get the seat that I wanted despite my spending thousands with SW.

Or, maybe I'm A1 on this flight, and I decide I need to save the first three rows (all 18 seats.) Maybe I'm travelling in a big family group. Is that what you want? According to your logic, that would be OK. 

jmcmd
Adventurer C

SWA should handle this, not hide from it, and create a fair solution for passengers instead of pitting one against another.