Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Saving Seats

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Those who think an A-List member is being "entitled" really don't quite understand how frequent flyer loyalty programs work, do you? 😉

MCOAnne
Explorer A

As an AA million miler and WN A-Lister, I know how they work, and have also seen as many people try to work the system as elite flyers as I have pre-boards on WN.  Far too many “elite” flyers have horrible attitudes and think they are above the “unwashed masses.”  Frankly anyone flying WN as an A-Lister isn’t all that.  It’s a lousy 35K points, not the 125,000 butt in seat miles I used to do each year on US.  

wrote:

Those who think an A-List member is being "entitled" really don't quite understand how frequent flyer loyalty programs work, do you? 😉

PattyL
Explorer B

How does your flying many times a year translate to your family getting the benefits? They did not earn any extra benefits from your use of the airline and should not benefit from it. And, even if you are a "better"customer, the real point is the contradiction in terms - this airline professes to have an open seating policy. But it really does not. If you choose to spend a lot of money using this airline, that is your business. But it should not negate the fact that this airline has a "policy" that should not allow the saving of seats, by definition of the term "open seating." If you want to sit with your family on a flight, you should be giving all that business to an airline that has a policy that assigns seats, not one that does not.

Tinker1
Explorer C

We used to buy just one early bird and my husband would board first and save the middle seat for me.  Even then he was frequently challenged by other couples who wanted to sit together.  So we now just buy two early birds and board together.  Much easier and worth the extra $15 - $30.  

I do think Southwest could help the situation by making an announcement during boarding indicating saving seats is not allowed.  Additionally, the flight attendants could also monitor this during boarding as it's very obvious.  

As far as groups pre-boarding with one disabled person - I find it to be hit or miss.  I have seen some gate agents stop the group and allow only one person to board with the disabled person and I have seen some allow severals people to board with one disabled person.  If Southwest has a policy on this it is not uniformally enforced. 

MCOAnne
Explorer A

wrote:

But again your still not A-List preferred. You don't fly 100+ flights a year like some of us do on Southwest. Not to mention I buy the Business Select ticket and get A1 or A2. You can't expect to get the same services by spending $15 as someone who spends $200,000+ a year. Sorry 😞

DYKWIA?

szn2tc
Explorer C

I may or may not fly a lot each year.  But I guarantee you that if I do spend $200,000 a year in flights, I am no more special than those families that scrimp and save to fly ONCE a year.  Get off your thrones.  I am sure your employer is paying for your tickets anyway.  Enjoy your flights, everyone!

pattik
Explorer B

Word!  Policy is in place for all to follow, not open to interpretation despite sense of entitlement. Keep it fair for everyone.

beezus3
Explorer C

chris535355 - Why not just buy your family the cheap $15 early bird check in? I buy it every time I fly Southwest (and for everyone in our party) and expect that I can sit in any open seat. I don't owe you anything, including a saved seat for your family. 

RockyMtn
Explorer C

How much you spend each year is not a consideration. Saving seats is inconsiderate no matter how much you fly. It really is that simple.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Saving seats may be inconsiderate, but Southwest allows it.

I personally have no problem if someone saves a middle seat, but whole rows and especially the bulkhead and exit row seats should never be saved, in my opinion.

Which means nothing, because Southwest allows seat saving.