Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

So what about pain? Does that qualify to pre-board?

bklaw12
Explorer C

No, I do not need a specific seat.  No, I do not need assistance.  No, I do not need time to stow an assistive device. 

But, I do have very, very, strong almost debilitating chronic pain which is greater when standing than it is to walk.  Enough so that I use a cane.

I could stand in the "A" line for awhile, but it would be very unconfortable and has in the past. Enough so that I have chosen to drive great distances rather than to fly and have to stand in an "A" line.  It is hard just having to get through security--which is at least moving.

The pre-board does not seem to address this or this message board which I've searched.  So, it appears by reading that the answer is no, I do not qualify.

But do I? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: So what about pain? Does that qualify to pre-board?

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

All you need to do is ask. 

"Prior to general boarding, preboarding is available for Customers who have specific seating needs to accommodate a disability, and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft, and/or need to stow an assistive device. If you have a disability and require preboarding, you should request a Preboarding Document from the Customer Service Agent at your departure gate."

"The Preboarding Document serves as notification to our Operations (Boarding) Agent that you need to preboard. It's important to keep in mind those Customers who preboard may not occupy a seat on the emergency exit rows. Customers who have any other special needs related to boarding should speak with the Customer Service Agent at your departure gate."

"We realize that some Customers with disabilities require the assistance of the individuals they are traveling with, and we will allow a travel companion to act as an "attendant" and preboard with a Customer with a disability. In most cases, the Customer requires assistance from only one other person, and any additional family members or friends are asked to board with their assigned group. However, if a Customer needs assistance from more than one family member, then the Customer should be allowed the additional help."

ampickup
Explorer A

Pre board is being abused.  Period.  We are frequent fliers and  flew on December 13, 2017 from RSW. There were approximately 40 people who boarded before Business Class! The pre boards were a combination of 12 wheelchairs with an accompanying person and those needing "extra time" to board the plane along with their accompanying person and a couple of Veterans (no problem with the Vets).  I can't begin to tell you how increasingly frustrated your customers are becoming with this process.  Several people in the queue were complaining .The people paying extra for Business Class and Early Bird are being ripped off by this abused pre board process.  The gate agents are not closely checking the pre board documents which may be a factor.  And it is even more frustrating when the wheelchair and pre boarders seem to have no problem upon landing when they hop out of their seats, grab their bags and scoot off the down the Jetway without a wheelchair or assistance.  I realize SW cannot question the nature of disabilities and the flying abusers know that too.  The only remedy for this increasing problem is to change from open seating to assigned seats. I always like open seating and always pay for EB but we are seriously considering changing to a carrier with assigned seating.  I sincerely hope SW realizes they are NOT doing customers any favors with the open seating process.  In fact, by the time all the wheelchairs and pre boards get settled, the flight crews need to begin rushing the general boarding passengers by continually announcing they need to hurry up and get seated for an an on time departure.  Just wrong.

tommyo
Explorer A

a better solution:

pre board like normal, sit in the back of the plane where there are 2 bathrooms and 2 flight attendants. youll have more help and more access to more facilities and you can unload last.

its a win win win win for all....

i bet the abuse will stop