Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

TSA Pre check for a minor but not parent

eichfam
Explorer C

We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 minors) traveling to Orlando tomorrow.  I just did the check in and my 14 year old son has TSA pre check, but myself, my wife and 12 year old daughter do not.  Is that odd?  Anything to worry about?  Since he has it but the rest dont will TSA let us as a family go through pre check?  This is the 1st time we have flown anywhere since 2001.  LIttle lost on all this security stuff.

1 REPLY 1

Re: TSA Pre check for a minor but not parent

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

TSA "randomly" assigns pre-check status to some people who have not gone through the formal application process. It appears that's what has happened in this situation. The 14 year old could go through the pre-check line, but other members of the family without pre-check on their boarding pass cannot. If an adult had pre-check, children age 12 and younger could go with the adult.

In your situation I suggest you ignore the pre-check status and all go through the normal security line.

Biggest issue I have seen for people that haven't traveled recently is attempting to bring liquids and gels in their carryon. You can read more about the rules here: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule