Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wheelchair needed due to severe knee issues but Traveling with children

hlm29
Explorer C

I  take my nieces and nephews to visit my mother in Florida every winter.  This year coming up I am considering booking with Southwest for the first time but am concerned about the boarding policy.  I can only walk very short distances without help so I always need a wheelchair in an airport.  I understand I will be preboarded but will the children be able to board with me?  They will be 4  - two 8 year olds, a 11 year old and a 14 year old at the time of travel.

Since these are not my children but nieces and nephews, I am hesitant to be seperated from them. I do not feel comfortable leavng a 14 year old in charge of getting the younger children on the plane.  Thank you for your help.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Wheelchair needed due to severe knee issues but Traveling with children

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@hlm29 wrote:

I  take my nieces and nephews to visit my mother in Florida every winter.  This year coming up I am considering booking with Southwest for the first time but am concerned about the boarding policy.  I can only walk very short distances without help so I always need a wheelchair in an airport.  I understand I will be preboarded but will the children be able to board with me?  They will be 4  - two 8 year olds, a 11 year old and a 14 year old at the time of travel.

Since these are not my children but nieces and nephews, I am hesitant to be seperated from them. I do not feel comfortable leavng a 14 year old in charge of getting the younger children on the plane.  Thank you for your help.

That sounds like a little more than the expected amount of assistance for preboarding, I think the guidance is two people - although I have seen groups this large be preboarded at times - it seems to make sense in your situation.

Another idea, is there anyone taking you to the airport that could request a gate pass to help get everyone to the gate and boarding at the right time? then if only two could preboard, the adult could help the kids get in line and start boarding at their normal position.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.