Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

pre boarding rules

Ash17533
Explorer C

Why are pre-boarders allowed to board before the A group? We pay extra and these people who abuse the policy are allowed to board before us. This is not in line with SW own policy.

I was on flight 4944 from Atlanta to FLL and about 20 passagners ones in wheel chairs and ones accompanying them were able to board before me and I paid extra for A1 boarding group. 

According to the SW policy:

Preboarding is available for Customers who have a specific seating need to accommodate their disability and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft or stowing an assistive device. If a Customer with a disability simply needs a little extra time to board, we will permit the Customer to board before Family Boarding, between the “A” and “B” groups. Those Customers who need extra time to board will receive a new boarding pass with an extra time designation. The designation serves as notification to our Operations (boarding) Agent that the Customer should be permitted to board before Family Boarding.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: pre boarding rules

dfwskier
Aviator A

So, you propose that those (mobility impaired) people in wheel chairs  should board after A group and be forced to crawl to a seat somewhere behind row 10?

Looking at the policy that you provided, there is a difference beween someone who needs a specific seat and someone who just needs a little extra timeand Southwest treats them differently.

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

Magnanimity is being lost....

tpegan1
Explorer A

The problem is that the gate agents don't enforce Southwest's policy.  So there might as well not be a policy.  

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

So you want pre-boards to board after general boarding?  Kindof makes no sense.

Aside from that, SWA is required by the ACAA to preboard those who identify as needed to.

Are people abusing this?   Absolutely.

Are people then saving seats/ rows of seats for their party in the C group?  Absolutely.

Is is wrong?  Absolutely.

Is SWA going to change to assigned seating or have an official no seat saving policy?  Not likely.

moates49
Explorer C

I see the pre-boarding(seat hoarding) on each flight from individuals who have absolutely NO reason for getting pre-board status.  I see passengers pre board and then put items in 6 seats to stop someone else who paid extra to get a decent seat.  Then the teenagers from the C section come in and park their butt in those seats.  Am I upset, ABSOLUTELY when you charge me 900 for a business select ticket and then get stuck behind all that.  And then to top it off, I caught a cold on my trip and on the return flight I recieved a drink voucher.  Well I was a bit too sick to drink but I asked to take the bottle with me but was refused by the flight attendant, was told I had to drink it on the plane.  She claimed it was the same as a resturant or hotel where you had to drink it on premise, I call BS because in all my travels that is the very first time I have been told that or flight attendant refused it,  and if so, what happens to all the small bottles of liquor and beer in the tiny refrigerators in the hotel rooms?  We pay for them when the final bill comes due no matter if we the drink on site or pack them in our luggage to take home.  It is just another way for the airline to make extra bucks.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@moates49 wrote:

I see the pre-boarding(seat hoarding) on each flight from individuals who have absolutely NO reason for getting pre-board status.  I see passengers pre board and then put items in 6 seats to stop someone else who paid extra to get a decent seat.  Then the teenagers from the C section come in and park their butt in those seats.  Am I upset, ABSOLUTELY when you charge me 900 for a business select ticket and then get stuck behind all that.  And then to top it off, I caught a cold on my trip and on the return flight I recieved a drink voucher.  Well I was a bit too sick to drink but I asked to take the bottle with me but was refused by the flight attendant, was told I had to drink it on the plane.  She claimed it was the same as a resturant or hotel where you had to drink it on premise, I call BS because in all my travels that is the very first time I have been told that or flight attendant refused it,  and if so, what happens to all the small bottles of liquor and beer in the tiny refrigerators in the hotel rooms?  We pay for them when the final bill comes due no matter if we the drink on site or pack them in our luggage to take home.  It is just another way for the airline to make extra bucks.

It is 100% true that you are not allowed to take it with you. Most FA will bring it to you opened without the cap in fact to prevent you from taking it although I have in the past had some that didn't take that step. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Follow up @moates49 that occured to me later - if you save the drink ticket and explain on your next flight why you didn't get to use it, they may give you one on that flight as a make-up.

The hotel example I think would be more applicable to the lounge or restaurant, I agree that a packaged item would be yours to take wherever it was allowed - the comparison here though should be to one that is opened, since you should be provided the drink onboard in an open state.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Speaking of the passengers hogging/hoarding seats, I usually attempt to inform the passenger that I'd like to sit there. They usually realize what they're doing is wrong, and once I asked an FA to step in. Sadly, it's how some folks work.

Zev

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ZevSupport wrote:

Speaking of the passengers hogging/hoarding seats, I usually attempt to inform the passenger that I'd like to sit there. They usually realize what they're doing is wrong, and once I asked an FA to step in. Sadly, it's how some folks work.

Zev

I wouldn't personally "seize" a seat but I would be okay to make someone feel bad if I thought they were being greedy. (Whether within the policy or not.)