Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A 1 boarding position in Costa Rica

Dgb
Explorer C

I am a frequent southwest traveller and generally satisfied but today I had a very unpleasant experience and no way to get satisfaction.

I am 6.5 and usually get A list 1 to 15 for $40 extra.  My legs hurt and i have bad circulation but feel that it is not so bad that i should priority bording ahead of folks in wheel chairs. So I was pleased today when on our flight to Fort Lauderdale I got A 1.

My pleasure soon turned to surprise and displeasure when I saw we were taken to the plane in a bus and that since I was A 1 I got in the bus first and off the bus last!

The plane was nearly full so I spent the flight in a seat with my knees squeezed in the seat ahead.  $40 is not a lot but I feel ripped off.  I think maybe someone should have told me that in this case it was worthless to buy a better boarding place.

Who should I address my complaint to?

DGB

7 REPLIES 7

Re: A 1 boarding position in Costa Rica

Passenger1C
Aviator C

So sorry to hear about your experience and where it went south. Did you happen to discuss this issue when you landed?  In my experience Southwest is always fair and generally addresses issues like this head on. 

If I was you, I would contact SWA directly  via Twitter in a DM or you can call customer relations at 855-234-4654 and explain your experience. 

Good luck! 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I've heard other complaints about the boarding via bus and also wouldn't be too pleased to learn my good boarding position is negated by everyone piling onto a bus. I wonder how they handle medical pre boards there as they are supposed to board before everyone else. Anyone know? 

Speaking of preboarding, @Dgb sounds like a good fit for preboarding which would not only save the upgrade fee, but also ensure you boarded even before A1. Any particular reason you don't request preboarding?

--TheMiddleSeat

Dgb
Explorer C

You would think so, but all the preboarding folks were on the back of the bus and had bad seats too.  I have thought about preboarding before but feel uneasy about comparing my height issues and circulation issues with folks needing wheelchairs.

Thank you for listening. 

Dgb

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Dgb wrote:

You would think so, but all the preboarding folks were on the back of the bus and had bad seats too.  I have thought about preboarding before but feel uneasy about comparing my height issues and circulation issues with folks needing wheelchairs.

Thank you for listening. 

Dgb

It's up to you to request it, but if you (or your medical professional) thought it was a good idea, the preboarding option is there for a reason which is to help people that can use the assistance.

No reason to suffer that way if it can be reasonably avoided within the rules. Height alone seems like less of a justification, but circulation issues seem like yes to me.

Obviously next time at Costa Rica you know to hold back and board the bus last!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

This has happened to me multiple times at CDG on other airlines. I get to board early on based on status or fare only to get stuck behind folks on a bus. The difference is that I had a seat assignment. 

I would reach each out and provide feedback directly to SW; I understand your frustration, and I have a feeling SW would too. 

I would also encourage you to take advantage of early boarding! 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The most disappointing part of this to me is that everyone knows they have a certain number and it shouldn't be a free-for-all getting off the bus and onto the airplane, obviously there may be people new to Southwest's system that aren't as familiar with the boarding system...but Southwest regulars should know better.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

This would seem pretty unfortunate. I've never run into this situation.

I can't imagine all opassengers for the flight would fit on one bus.

Thus it would seem to make sense to me to take all a-listers out on one bus, then b-group on another bus, and then c-group on another bus, with a final bus for any late arrivers.

Another rule of thumb probably should be to sit as close as possible to the bus door, so first on the bus could be first off the bus.