Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List Prefered Boarding

Vegasflyer
Explorer C

Why do I see either people with no A-List or just A-List boarding ahead of us with A-List Prefered??

You would think Southwest would treat there BEST customers with more respect.

25 REPLIES 25

Re: A-List Prefered Boarding

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @Vegasflyer,

Boarding positions are assigned first-come, first-served, and while the A1 through A15 boarding passes are reserved for our Business Select Customers, somebody could end up with one of those boarding passes by purchasing upgraded boarding. Another reason someone might end up with an early boarding position without status is if there's a last minute cancellation, which opens the boarding position back up, and then someone checks in and gets that position. 

All that said, we love our A-List and A-List Preferred Customers, and if you've got a question about the boarding process, I encourage you to visit with a Customer Service Agent or Operations Agent next time you're at the airport. They'll be glad to adress your concerns and explain the process. 

t3337
Explorer C

I am A-List flying Business Select next week. Do I have to call 24 hours ahead for a good boarding pass position?  Or is one automatically assigned?

Does purchasing a Business Select Fare guarantee an  A-1 thru A-15 boarding pass?

if I am an A-Lister with a B or C boarding pass, regardess of what type of fare I purchased for the flight, can I still board between A and B groups no matter what my position is?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

A-List positions are automatically assigned beginning 36 hours prior to departure. If an A-Lister receives a position in the B or C group (happens when a flight change is made less than 36 hours before departure) they can board after the A group.

Business Select fares guarantee an A1-15 boarding position. positions are assigned in order of check in, beginning 24 hours prior to departure. Whoever checks in first gets A1.

A-Listers who purchase BS fares are (bizarrely) not automatically checked in as they would be with any other fare.

gkim1234
Explorer C

So if I’m A-List I don’t need to checkin, SWA will automatically do so and assign a boarding spot for me?

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@gkim1234 wrote:

So if I’m A-List I don’t need to checkin, SWA will automatically do so and assign a boarding spot for me?

You will be automatically checked in but it's still good practice to check in at some point anyways because if your using mobile boarding and you happen to be running late on day of departure you won't be able to check in on the phone if your trying to check in less than an hour before your flight which would then cause you to go to the ticket counter to get a boarding pass and you could miss your flight. Also by checking it you can see your boarding pass number in case there were to be a glitch with the A List early check in. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

gbpurvis
Explorer C

Bought my ticket over 1 week ago with pretty high fare. I'm a-list preferred and got A57. Which means Aisle in the back of the bus.  Realizing the value of AList preferred when the system works. Not sure I've ever had higher than A21. Must be a system glitch. Customer service said they'd refund my upgraded boarding however it was sold out. Still love swa just a little bummed today. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Although I have A-list I'm often boarding with my family between A and B groups. We often still get windows at that time, but yes towards the back of the plane.

Especially on a business route, or if we happen to be traveling to a destination with a convention taking place I have been getting A30-A60 numbers with A-list sometimes, but there are still good seats available.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

If there were a lot of people ahead of you, make sure that you didn't purchase or change your flight after the 36-hour window which would have removed your preferred boarding position.

I'm not sure how A-List and A-List preferred work in terms of automatic assignment at the 36-hour mark, I think it may be by order purchased, and I'm not sure if there are separate waves for those two statuses...so if you bought your ticket relatively late then you might be at the rear of the A-list group behind the other A-list and A-list preferred who bought their tickets way early.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Chris8550
Explorer C

Over the last number of years as an A-List Preferred,  my boarding position has alway been anywhere from A-16 to (worst case) A-25.   Since Dec,  I have cancelled several flights,  after checking in,  due to my boarding position.   Most recently,  I was assigned C-07!  REALLY!  I have also cancelled for A-59,  and A-37..   Cancelled and booked Alaska Airlines,  which I have never flown before this change as I was a loyal SWA fan.     Due to the new policy (and every A-List Preferred member knows SWA made a change...we talk) I have become an Alaska Airlines Mileage Member and already have 4 flights under my belt that would have been SWA.     Really need to rethink how you treat your most frequent flyers....we earn our Companion Passes by flying not just signing up for a credit card!