Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List Preferred Boarding positions

tnmomx2
Explorer C

My boss is an A List preffered member and I know with that status you are basically checked-in 36 hrs prior to the flight but how is the position number picked?  Sometimes he is A1 while others he is A9.  HOw is that determined?  By how soon you booked your flight?

19 REPLIES 19

Re: A-List Preferred Boarding positions

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The terminology might be mixed up, but the theory is correct - for A1-A15 in Business Select fares, the order is by who purchased first. If your boss is buying tickets last minute, then he would be more likely to get A9, and having A-list preferred wouldn't affect that position.

Then for A15 and up the A-list preferred and A-list get reserved first at 36 hours, and then the Early Bird tickets are reserved after them.

I'm not sure about the tie-breaker for A-list preferred and A-list order, it may also be according to earlier ticket purchases as well. This would make sense to me as it might be splitting hairs to allocate one before another in terms of current tier qualifying points for the year.

My experience is that I often buy tickets last minute, but before the 36 hour mark, and end up at the end of the A-list groups which support the theory.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

The terminology might be mixed up, but the theory is correct - for A1-A15 in Business Select fares, the order is by who purchased first. If your boss is buying tickets last minute, then he would be more likely to get A9, and having A-list preferred wouldn't affect that position.

Then for A15 and up the A-list preferred and A-list get reserved first at 36 hours, and then the Early Bird tickets are reserved after them.

I'm not sure about the tie-breaker for A-list preferred and A-list order, it may also be according to earlier ticket purchases as well. This would make sense to me as it might be splitting hairs to allocate one before another in terms of current tier qualifying points for the year.

My experience is that I often buy tickets last minute, but before the 36 hour mark, and end up at the end of the A-list groups which support the theory.

Not exactly correct...

A1-15 are reserved for those who purchase Business Select tickets. The boarding order for BS is assigned -- regardless of any A-List status -- in the order of check in, beginning 24 hours before departure. The first person to check in gets A1.

A-Listers who've not bought Business Select are checked in automatically beginning 36 hours before departure, starting with position A-16. Southwest doesn't officially publish the method they use for assigning these positions, but it's believed they use some sort of algorithm that factors in fare cost and trip frequency.

boomer6954
Explorer A

As for the boarding sequence within the A List Preferred and A List categories, I believe you poition is determined by when you purchased the ticket.  For example the first A List Preferred person to buy a ticket for the flight would be A 16 and followed by the next A List Preferred member.  There may be more to it but that has been my experience.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

As I posted earlier: Southwest doesn't officially publish the method they use for assigning positions within A-List. It's believed they use some sort of algorithm that factors in fare cost and trip frequency.

crStar
Explorer C

The new system is in place now, I have had A16 when checkin for the pass 6 years,checkin for tomorrow flight low and behold A-35.

Hey Southwest if you want me to change airlines just say so.

Outdooradguy
Explorer C

If it makes YOU feel any better, I fly twice per week. I'm a 56 this morning.   Bought my ticket several months ago.  Been A Pref for two years.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

There's a systemwide "glitch" causing A-Listers to lose their status on all upcoming bookings.

The correct thing to do would be to board A-Listers after Business Select. They're not doing that of course -- it's not often Southwest does the right thing these days -- even when it's as simple as something like this. 😞

BrianP
Explorer C

Your situation/status is identical to mine.  Did you determine why that happened?

AKOTR
Explorer C

If these postings are correct, something is wrong. I have been A list for several years, bought the ticket I am using tomorrow several months ago, and the flight still has "wanna get away" fares open BUT I was assigned A 37 and A 43 on my flights. I typically get A 17-19, rarely a 20, never these numbers.