Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-list suffers when changing reservations

Speedinwest
Explorer C

As an a list member for several years I don’t understand the value of being an a lair member. I need to change my flight quite often though after the change I’m reassigned from an A to a B. SW states you can Board after all A’s which is first, totally lame, as i generally pay over a hundred of dollars to make a change, but the problably is that the rep always makes a scene when you board at the end of A - you have to be ‘specially called” to board event though 1) you’re a dedicated customer 2) you’re a business professional who doesn’t abuse priveldege rather waits until after A is called. 

This is the main reason I threw away those absurd recogniton coupons I received in the mail - because I don’t, and never have been treated like a loyal customer, rather some

freeloader.

pretty sure this is the last of southwest for me as there is no up for A list 

PS - my wife who travels 1 a year gets free drink coupons every year - I’ve been A list for 5 years straight and never once gotten a drink

coupon - that’s SW loyalty....

4 REPLIES 4

Re: A-list suffers when changing reservations

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@Speedinwest wrote:

As an a list member for several years I don’t understand the value of being an a lair member. I need to change my flight quite often though after the change I’m reassigned from an A to a B. SW states you can Board after all A’s which is first, totally lame, as i generally pay over a hundred of dollars to make a change, but the problably is that the rep always makes a scene when you board at the end of A - you have to be ‘specially called” to board event though 1) you’re a dedicated customer 2) you’re a business professional who doesn’t abuse priveldege rather waits until after A is called. 

This is the main reason I threw away those absurd recogniton coupons I received in the mail - because I don’t, and never have been treated like a loyal customer, rather some

freeloader.

PS - my wife who travels 1 a year gets free drink coupons every year - I’ve been A list for 5 years straight and never once gotten a drink

I'm not sure I fully understand your complaints, but just to clarify: You shouldn't be receiving a B position unless you're changing your flight less than 36 hours prior to departure. (All the A-List and Early Bird positions are assigned by then, so you're given the next available one.) You'll continue to receive your A-List position if you change flights greater than 36 hours from departure.

I've never known an agent to make any kind of "scene" when boarding A-Listers after the A group. In fact, the A-Listers I know usually just walk right on at the end of the A's. Worst case, you board when called after the As which is still before Family Boarding.

If you're frequently changing flights at the last minute, and paying a lot to do so, you might want to consider buying Business Select. Changes are free, and you'll always board no later than A15. (Plus you'll earn twice as many points, which can help you earn A-List Preferred or requalify for A-List quicker.) You'll also get a coupon for a free drink each flight.

Another option, available only to A-Listers, is free standby travel. If the last-minute flight changes you are making are for an earlier flight than the one you have booked this can be a great option. And it won't cost anything at all. (Some A-Listers I know leverage this option frequently, by booking one of the last flights of the day and then going standby at whatever time the day's schedule allows them to get to the airport.)

As an A-Lister you're earning 25% more points. And have access to a special bag check, customer service and telephone service lines.

If you've been A-LIst for 5 years straight and have never received any drink coupons, something is very wrong. And it's surprising that you've not addressed this earlier! Drink coupons are sent by Southwest after each set of 10 paid one-way flights, as long as you haven't chosen to opt out of receiving them. To check, log in to your Rapid Rewards account, and look under My Account > My Preferences > Travel. Click on Extras and you should see the info shown below. If you're opted-out, click Edit and change that.

Chase also sends drink coupons to cardholders, but the frequency is much less than every year.

Hope this info helps!

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 10.39.55 PM.png

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

@Speedinwest wrote:

Another option, available only to A-Listers, is free standby travel. If the last-minute flight changes you are making are for an earlier flight than the one you have booked this can be a great option. And it won't cost anything at all. (Some A-Listers I know leverage this option frequently, by booking one of the last flights of the day and then going standby at whatever time the day's schedule allows them to get to the airport.)

And to re-iterate as long as the earlier flight has a spot that you can be confirmed for, you get to use that A61 boarding position since you’ll have a re-assigned number that may be B or C group.

if that flight is full and the agents are waiting to see if there really is one spot left for you, then you could get a less desirable seat, the same as any other airline filling the last spot or two onboard.

As as far as your point about some grief for using that A-list position just stand up front to the side (ahead of any waiting families), wait for A60 to go through, walk up and ask “A-list?” It doesn’t need to be a scene or appear that you are sneaking on.

Good luck - everything you’ve described sounds like Southwest could actually be a great fit for you in the future, I hope you do give it another try. 

If you you end up sitting next to me on a future flight I’ll be happy “buy” you a beverage with a coupon.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

RaintoShine
Explorer C

I have also had the gate agent who "makes a scene" when you try to board after the A group. I am on at least 2 flights a week, sometimes more and A-list always goes right after A60. Yet this particular agent insists on boarding families first and then gets mad if I tell him a-list goes before families. He actually went so far as to yell at me today. It's happened twice now with the same gate agent (and no others), so I'll be calling SW after my flight. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Speedinwest wrote:

Well, A-List and Early Boarding purchaser boarding positions are assigned 36 hours before flight time. If you change a flight after that 36 hour window has passed, then all of the "good" position have already been assigned. If you change after the 24 hour sign in time has passed and others have checked in, you'll get an even worse boarding position.  The airline can;t give you an A spot if they've all been assigned.

Actually, having a C20 spot and being allowed to board as the equivalent of A61 or A62 is a pretty good deal. When I've done it I've never failed to find a totally acceptable aisle no further back than row 10.

It's actually a better deal than American, United or Delta will give you as they've already sold all of their aisle and window seats, so most always you'll get a middle seat.

freeloader.

Everyone that elects in their Rapid Rewards profile to receive drink coupons  receives tham after 10 paid flights. If you're not getting them, check your profile.