Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding Line

butchsundanceus
Explorer C

How can we get people to respect the 1-30 and 31-60 sequence while in line?  It seems that folks think the TV showing 1-30, for example, entitles them to ANY spot in that range...not what their boarding document ACTUALLY says.  Can the Gate agent better "police" this PLEASE!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Boarding Line

egossens
Explorer C

Honestly, I've learned to make it a habit of asking the folks around me what their numbers are, and showing them mine. If someone is standing in the wrong spot, I have no problem smiling and saying "Oh, you're back there. See the numbers?" This is usually an effective way to get folks to move to the right spot.

I think some people feign confusion with the boarding system, when in reality, it's pretty clear. Anyway, that would be my suggestion- to be proactive in asking the folks around you for their numbers, sort of as a way to make sure you're in the right place (even if you know you are), but really to make sure they are in the right place.

hockeydiva
Adventurer B

Yep--I do the same!

pattik
Explorer B

This approach also helps the novice flyer who is easily overwhelmed by the boarding process. Initiate the conversation!

boomer6954
Explorer A

Where Southwest's boarding process is unique, newbie's are oftern overwhelmed and confused.  I will politley ask what # they are and assist.  When they do try to board the gate agent should enforce gross discrepancies for example B36 trying to board infront of A20, as opposed to A22 in front of A20.

Years ago when I first started flying Southwest I thought the whole lining up process and open seating was crazy however, now when I fly AA I wish I was on WN especially for the boarding as on AA there is a scrum at the boarding door and is difficult to cut through when your group is called.