Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I print a boarding pass even if I end up having to cancel my flight?

agraham
Explorer C

Hello,

There is a possibility I would have to cancel our flight on Wed and reschedule for another time. Since I'm able to print out my boarding passes at 7:35am and I won't know for sure if I have to reschedule my trip until 10am, can I still print out the boarding passes at 7:35am? If I do print them out at 7:35am and then have to reschedule for a different date, will I lose my funds that I paid for this flight on Wed?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Can I print a boarding pass even if I end up having to cancel my flight?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest allows you to cancel a reservation up to to 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure time. To specifically answer the question regarding printing boarding passes, yes, you can print your boarding pass and then decide to cancel the flight. You could also check-in at the normal time and print out your boarding pass later at the airport if you decide to travel. There have been times I have been at the gate and canceled my reservation, coming close to the 10 minute cutoff.

If you purchased a Wanna Get Away fare, the lowest price fare Southwest offers, and cancel the reservation, you can apply the amount paid towards a future flight, BUT the future flight must be completed within one year of the date you originally purchased the reservation you canceled. Make sure you keep the confirmation number of the canceled flight to be able to apply the credit towards a future flight. If you already know the date of the future flight you can also change the original flight instead of canceling it. Other fare types, Anytime and Business Select, are you eligible for a cash refund.

Hopefully that answers your questions, let me know if I missed anything, 

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

agraham
Explorer C

Thanks! I'm hoping we won't have to cancel/reschedule the trip, but it's nice to know SW will give us our funds back to use again (within the year). Since we also paid for the Early Bird, I understand that won't be part of the funds.

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@agraham 

Yes you can check in and still cancel after checking in. You could wait until you get to the airport (if you still fly) to print the pass and your boarding position would already be reserved if you checked in at 7:35am 

Hope this helps!

Blake

agraham
Explorer C

Thank you Blake!

Is our boarding number the same whether I print the ticket at home or at the airport? We did get the Early Bird along with our regular ticket (Wanna get away).

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Yes, your boarding position will be the same regardless of when you print out the boarding pass. And since you purchased EarlyBird Check-In you don't actually have to worry about checking in until you get to the airport.

You are correct you will not receive a refund for the EarlyBird Check-In if you cancel the reservation, but if you change the reservation to a future flight instead of canceling EarlyBird stays on the reservation. I suggest you change the flight to some random future date and then change it again once you know your new travel plans so you don't lose the EarlyBird Check-In.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat Looks like we are chasing each other 😂

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@agraham 

Since you bought EB your boarding position wouldn't change so you could check in at 7:35am or 5pm as an example as you will be "checked in while your checked out" (sorry that phone ad is stuck in my head 😂)

If you cancel you will lose the EB funds but will keep the flight cost as credit (valid for a year from original flight purchase date) 

Hope this helps

Blake

agraham
Explorer C

Thank you so much Blake!!! I truly appreciate the information. I knew I'd lose the EB, but I'm okay with that.