Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Center Seats

MichiganMan
Explorer C

I was on a flight where an extended family selected one 3 seat row for a mom & 2 kids, and also selected 4 window seats & 4 isle seats leaving the center seats open. I was one of the last on the plane & had to sit in between two family members who continually showed pictures to each others on their phones and talked over me and to other family members in front & behind.  I asked if they wanted to sit next to each other but they declined saying they didn’t like the middle seat. I think the Southwest flight attendants should have moved them together and freed the isle seats for the last boarded passengers like me.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Center Seats

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@MichiganMan

That seating situation does not sound like fun.  I probably would not have bothered the flight attendant, but instead, after the second round of being talked over, I would have something like “Kind folks, I understand that no one likes the middle seat, but I cannot relax if I am being constantly talked over, so may I please insist that one of us swap?  I don’t care if I get the aisle or the window, but I really dislike being the in-between in this conversation.  Surely you all can see that it makes me uncomfortable to be an unwanted third person in this two-way conversation.  I appreciate your understanding.”  

I don’t know if that would have worked but I would have felt better saying it.  I try my best not to be spiteful, but if they still said no thanks, I might have said “ok,” then whipped out that 15 inch laptop.  

I am sorry that that this happened to you.  Fortunately, I think it is rare.  I always cringe inside  a little when I hear flight attendants say “Take any seat you like,” only because I prefer “Take any seat that is open” which I find more accurate.  

Better travels next next time for you hopefully.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I have seen similar strategies used but more often the family does condense at the end when it becomes obvious that there won't be empty middle seats after all. 

I can also assure you that the FA aren't saving any aisle seats for the last to board, you are defintely slotted for a middle seat at that point.

It is a saavy Southwest traveler that sees two people obviously traveling together in aisle and window positions and slyly asks for the middle, expecting them to condense and you luck into a late boarding aisle seat. But sometimes they don't want to sit together and into the middle you go!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

I was once the dude in the middle seat, so instead of putting up with them playing a game and sharing photos, I opened a multiplayer Jeoprady app and we all played together! Super cool.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

bec102896
Aviator A

@ZevSupport wrote:

I was once the dude in the middle seat, so instead of putting up with them playing a game and sharing photos, I opened a multiplayer Jeoprady app and we all played together! Super cool.

Thats a cool way to pass time and as a lot of the FAs say make a new friend. Did the winner and runner up get to choose which seat they wanted for the remainder of the flight?