Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Child Free Zones

Ontheroad247
Explorer C

Hello,

Is Southwest planning on implementing child-free travel or quiet zones on domestic flights? I travel frequently for work and would be willing to pay extra for quiet zones for business travelers. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Child Free Zones

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While I certainly cannot provide an offical response as I have no idea what Southwest might do in the future, I can't imagine they would ever do something like this.  They've always been very much about open seating and other than an exit row, kids are welcome to sit where they want.  I would love quiet cabins on early and late night flights, but also don't see that happening, it would be an enforcement nightmare and cause more problems than it solved.

--TheMiddleSeat

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

I don't know of any domestic carriers in the U.S. that offer child-free or quiet zones. It would be a PR nightmare for any airline that tried.

One of Southwest's greatest assets is that every passenger is considered equal, whether they're an excited 3-year-old going to Disney World for the first time or a business passenger on their way to close an important deal. Segregating passengers for any reason would diminish the Hospitiality that Southwest is known for.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Ontheroad247 wrote:

Hello,

Is Southwest planning on implementing child-free travel or quiet zones on domestic flights? I travel frequently for work and would be willing to pay extra for quiet zones for business travelers. 

This zone is only as wide as the exit rows. 

I think you also have a good chance towards the front, the kids won't generally have really low boarding numbers although the business traveler spouse may be saving a spot for a kid. I think its fair to ask if you suspected someone was saving a spot for a kid so that you can relocate - another business traveler would understand your needs.

Avoid the back, the families definitely end up there where there are rows together at family boarding positions...other than that I think you'll have to do the best  you can, and feel free to get up and move if you still can and feel the need to do so.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Ontheroad247
Explorer C

Thank you all for you insight and responses! I know how controversial this topic can be to discuss and you're absolutely right - it would be a logistical/PR nightmare. In my perfect world, business travelers could "commute" to work with other business travelers the same way that large tech companies, such as Microsoft or Google, are able to provide group transportation to their employees. I get that it's a completely different situation because these rideshares are not public transportation. But anyone who has ever commuted with Microsoft's rideshare program instead of regular public transportation can tell you how amazing it is to get an extra few minutes of quiet-time before they start their day. A girl can dream though... 

As for the travel advice, I will definitely pay more attention to seating placement. I am pretty diligent about checking in 24 hours before and getting an A-list preferred boarding position, but this does not always deter negative encounters... Most recently, I was on a Southwest flight where the teenager behind me (boarding position ~A15) decided that she was going to save 4  entire rows in the front of the plane for her teammates. I could see the frustration as the girl told passenger after passenger that she had reserved those seats, just like she were on a school bus. By the time the whole team was seated we were all wishing that we were sitting in the back of the plane - at least it was quiet back there! I know these encounters are few and far between, but it's frustrating to encounter such blatant disregard for other travelers.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Ontheroad247 wrote:

Most recently, I was on a Southwest flight where the teenager behind me (boarding position ~A15) decided that she was going to save 4  entire rows in the front of the plane for her teammates. I could see the frustration as the girl told passenger after passenger that she had reserved those seats, just like she were on a school bus. By the time the whole team was seated we were all wishing that we were sitting in the back of the plane - at least it was quiet back there! I know these encounters are few and far between, but it's frustrating to encounter such blatant disregard for other travelers.

Oh boy! That's a tough one, obviously a teenager on a sports team may not have the experience as to what they are doing, or awareness of the needs of others. When Southwest is invovled in similar travels in the past on my flights, I have seen the FA and gate agents work to get them to take a block towards the back to alleviate the saving of seats, but still get them together. That was probably a missed opportunity on your flight!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.