Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Do in need to check in again when I come home from a trip?

Cesparza
Explorer C

So i took a flight to D.C. and i was wondering if i had to check in again 24 hours before my departure time to go back home to Texas?

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Do in need to check in again when I come home from a trip?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Yes, you have to check in for each one-way trip. (Checking in for the first flight of a connecting itinerary will check you in for all legs of that one-way trip.)

Cesparza
Explorer C

what if i have a round trip do i need to cheeck in?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Yes, check in 24 hours before departure of the first leg of the return trip. 

jmadamik
Explorer C

It is really a pain to have to check in twice for a round trip. I bet that only a very small percentage of people cancel the 2nd part of a round trip, so they should let people check in Once for a RT.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's not really about people canceling, it's assignment of a boarding position and allowing check-in to start at 24 hours before flight allows boarding positions to be assigned in a controlled manner.

You could always purchase EarlyBird Check-in and not have to worry about it. Or, if you don't care about boarding position, you could skip checking in online and just go to the airport baggage/check-in counter before your flight.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

How much of a pain can it be, when it takes 10 seconds to check in via the app or mobile website? <scratches head>

jason121450
Explorer C

who would want to get up a day before a flight at 5:45 AM..to leave the hotel room to go to the " Computer Room ' just to secure a good position for the flight home the next day ??????

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

It's probably two hours later than you'll be getting up the next day...consider it as a warm up for tomorrow!

Book one-way flights anyway - among other flexibility benefits you can add early-bird to just one leg, especially for the early morning scenario that you are describing.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

eddieras
Explorer B
Solution

You can add early bird to just one leg of Round trip. You don't need to book one ways to add early bird to only leg

@DancingDavidE wrote:

It's probably two hours later than you'll be getting up the next day...consider it as a warm up for tomorrow!

Book one-way flights anyway - among other flexibility benefits you can add early-bird to just one leg, especially for the early morning scenario that you are describing.